[SOLVED] Will a Nvidia Quadro P2000 be suitable for my old PC

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello

I have a HP Xeon Z200 PC and I use AutoCAD 14 and Revit 2014 for 3D work. I bought the PC in 2010 and it has been a valuable tool which I could not be without. Recently, my graphic-card broke down (Firefox Pro 3D) so I bought a similar second-hand item of the internet but I think it may be faulty as well as noisy so I going to replace it with an Nvidia Quadro P2000.

My question is, am I able to just swap the two graphic cards and it will work immediately, or will there be compatibility issues. My CPU is a Xeon X3460 @ 2.80Hz 2.93 Ghz. 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. 8GB memory.

Thanks

Dan

Solution
Hello

I have a HP Xeon Z200 PC and I use AutoCAD 14 and Revit 2014 for 3D work. I bought the PC in 2010 and it has been a valuable tool which I could not be without. Recently, my graphic-card broke down (Firefox Pro 3D) so I bought a similar second-hand item of the internet but I think it may be faulty as well as noisy so I going to replace it with an Nvidia Quadro P2000.

My question is, am I able to just swap the two graphic cards and it will work immediately, or will there be compatibility issues. My CPU is a Xeon X3460 @ 2.80Hz 2.93 Ghz. 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. 8GB memory.

Thanks

Dan

A Quadro P2000 should be fine with that machine, in terms of 'will it work immediately' - you will need to download and install the...
Hello

Thanks

Dan

A Quadro P2000 should be fine with that machine, in terms of 'will it work immediately' - you will need to download and install the latest driver direct from nVidias website to get the best out of the card. Depending on which versions of Windows you are running, Windows may automatically install a diver for the card, however the Windows auto installed drivers are usually horribly out of date - if you are on an older version (e.g. Windows 7) then chances are the card is newer than your Windows install and thus it will just use a default driver in which case you will have no 3D capability until the proper graphics drive is installed.

Solution

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Bought the P2000, plugged it in and the system started in default mode. The instructions told me to download and install the driver from the internet, run a CD and that's it. Trouble was, since I do not use my PC on the internet, I had disabled all the security functions that run in the background (my PC has never been quieter) which included the Windows update that changed the graphic-card registration from SHA-1 to SHA-2. Fortunately, all I had to do was to turn on update and Windows found the current driver and updated SHA-1 to SHA-2.

All working and I have three screens and the Graphics card is silent. Superb.

Reactions: cdrkf