Will a server power supply work in a small form pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allstarbenchwarmer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I have recently bough a small form factor gateway pc (sx series) and to upgrade my good for nothing video card i need a new power supply and the only one that can remotely fit (atleast it looks like it) is a server power supply

also if a video card says it needs atleast a 300 watt power supply, does it literally mean just the video card alone needs 300? i know it sounds dumb but.. Im just making sure.

Solution

The PSU has the required power & amps available. The video card doesn't require any PCI/E power cables, it gets all the power it needs from the PCI/E slot on the motherboard.

The only concern I have about the PSU is : Does it have the correct cabling & fittings to work with a consumer grade desktop motherboard? I don't know if server motherboards require different power connectors from...
The 300 watt recommendation is for total power used by the whole system, not just the video card. The problem with using a server PSU is that it might not have the proper (or enough) power connections for your video card, should it require additional power.

The PSU has the required power & amps available. The video card doesn't require any PCI/E power cables, it gets all the power it needs from the PCI/E slot on the motherboard.

The only concern I have about the PSU is : Does it have the correct cabling & fittings to work with a consumer grade desktop motherboard? I don't know if server motherboards require different power connectors from desktop motherboards. :sweat: :??:

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.