[SOLVED] Will a USB KVM switch transfer data between the two machines.

Jun 10, 2020
Given more frequent working from home I'm getting fed up with needing two keyboards and two mice for my work and personal computer.

I'm thinking of purchasing a USB switch for the peripherals so my personal and work computer can use the same equipment.

I'm unlikely to have both machines turned on at the same time but want to know if I do, will the USB switch have the capability to transfer data between the devices? My work has a strict no external storage device policy so do not want to link my computer to my works computer accidently.

Looking on the web it doesn't seem clear if they or do not.

Solution
Given more frequent working from home I'm getting fed up with needing two keyboards and two mice for my work and personal computer.

I'm thinking of purchasing a USB switch for the peripherals so my personal and work computer can use the same equipment.

I'm unlikely to have both machines turned on at the same time but want to know if I do, will the USB switch have the capability to transfer data between the devices? My work has a strict no external storage device policy so do not want to link my computer to my works computer accidently.

It would depend on the switch. Some (expensive) switches are tested to ensure they have no interconnection. These are used in...

kanewolf

Titan

It would depend on the switch. Some (expensive) switches are tested to ensure they have no interconnection. These are used in secure environments. Most consumer switches probably are not tested so they have no information. BUT if you only have keyboard, mouse and video, there is no "data" to exchange. Don't have any USB devices plugged into the monitor or keyboard.

Solution