Will a wifi card help me

protottype

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I'm new to using a desktop that isn't connected to the internet via cable and I bought a USB wifi thing (don't know the official name) and when I played games even though I had low ping and high fps there was a lot of stuttering in game and I did research and the possible reason for this was interfearance. I was wondering if switching to a wifi card (ASUS PCE-AC56 Dual-Band Network Adapter - PCIe - 802.11b/a/g/n/ac - Detachable Antenna is the one I wanted to chose) would stop the stuttering in game and if the one I was planning on buying was good as well

Solution
If you dont have wired because your far from the router, and you want wireds usualy lower latencey and higher speeds, you could get a powerline adapter. They just plug into the wall (DIRECTLY) into the wall), one end gets plugged into the router and the the other into the PC and voila

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It really depends what Wifi adapter you're using and it's limitations.
Wifi will always have a little more latency than wired - and sometimes quite a bit more, depending on the obstructions (walls etc) between your adapter and your router.

Yes, the AC56 is a quality Wifi adapter, as is the USB-AC55 in my experience, but if you're trying to use AC or N signals across a sizeable difference, or through a few walls etc, most "quality" wifi adapters will perform similarly.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
If you dont have wired because your far from the router, and you want wireds usualy lower latencey and higher speeds, you could get a powerline adapter. They just plug into the wall (DIRECTLY) into the wall), one end gets plugged into the router and the the other into the PC and voila

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
^A very good option..... in some situations.

With powerline, a lot will depend on the quality of your wiring (and age), how the circuits are wired - you want to be as 'close' to the routers input as possible (ie shortest length of wiring) etc, but it's an option.