[SOLVED] will a windows 10 system image overwrite a windows 11 install?

Oct 10, 2021
was wondering with the whole windows 11 release. i want some assurances with upgrading that i can revert back if i wanted(past the 10 days).
i have a system image of my C: drive saved on one of my other drives and was wondering if i were to restore from that(or if i could for that matter) in windows 11 recovery options.
would it revert properly to how my system was when i had windows 10 installed.
Note i am not talking about a restore point.

Solution
was wondering with the whole windows 11 release. i want some assurances with upgrading that i can revert back if i wanted(past the 10 days).
i have a system image of my C: drive saved on one of my other drives and was wondering if i were to restore from that(or if i could for that matter) in windows 11 recovery options.
I wouldn't count on a Windows System Image to save your previous install.

A 3rd party tool, and a full drive backup, yes.
Macrium Reflect, for instance. Saved on some other drive.
Oct 10, 2021

USAFRet

Titan
I wouldn't count on a Windows System Image to save your previous install.

A 3rd party tool, and a full drive backup, yes.
Macrium Reflect, for instance. Saved on some other drive.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would be curious as to how the licensing issue would work, assuming that you used the previous key to activate the W11 install. If they are different keys I see no issue with it at all. I have found in the past that using (for instance) a 7 key to validate the upgrade to 10 then invalidates that key for 7 under the digital entitlement. I cannot say if it's the same 10 to 11.

USAFRet

Titan
I would be curious as to how the licensing issue would work, assuming that you used the previous key to activate the W11 install. If they are different keys I see no issue with it at all. I have found in the past that using (for instance) a 7 key to validate the upgrade to 10 then invalidates that key for 7 under the digital entitlement. I cannot say if it's the same 10 to 11.
It will almost certainly be the same.

One license, one install. Move to 11, your Win 10 eventually becomes invalidated.
You don't get to use both. Nor switch back much later.