[SOLVED] Will adding another 8gb ram stick improve the overall performance of my system?

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
my current pc is running
cpu: i5-8400
motherboard: Asus prime B360M-K
ram: 1x 8gb G.skill value 2400MHz
gpu: gtx 1050 ti

The mother board only has two ram slots. Will adding another 8gb stick of ram so that the system runs in dual channel mode benefit the system? or should i just stick with single channel 8gb ram for now
thanks
MOBO
ram

Solution
Running in Dual Channel is always better for performance. But if you're just browsing the web, viewing pictures, or wiritng word documents, then you won't notice a difference all that much getting more RAM. Next time you feel a slow-down, check your task manager to see if you're truly being slowed down because your RAM is being used to 100%. If that is the case then new RAM is recommended.

If not then the other culprits will most likely be your HDD and/or CPU (if it's also being pushed to 100% constantly). If you're running windows on an HDD along with other programs on the SAME drive then you will indeed feel slowed down. In this day-and-age SSD's should be your best friend with computers. They will definitely speed up your system...
Running in Dual Channel is always better for performance. But if you're just browsing the web, viewing pictures, or wiritng word documents, then you won't notice a difference all that much getting more RAM. Next time you feel a slow-down, check your task manager to see if you're truly being slowed down because your RAM is being used to 100%. If that is the case then new RAM is recommended.

If not then the other culprits will most likely be your HDD and/or CPU (if it's also being pushed to 100% constantly). If you're running windows on an HDD along with other programs on the SAME drive then you will indeed feel slowed down. In this day-and-age SSD's should be your best friend with computers. They will definitely speed up your system noticeably.

Solution
Dual channel is not going to help much since you have a discrete graphics card.
Here is a study of ram scaling:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/node/1478

If you regularly have many tasks open or chrome windows, you may not have sufficient ram. One thing to look at is task manager hard fault statistics. If you see anything like one per second, then added ram is a good idea.

If you do not already have a ssd for windows, that is the single biggest performance improvement around.