Will ADM Fx-8100 Bottleneck GTX 1070?

sanderskay

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Hi,

I have an AMD FX-8100 cpu and a recently installed GTX Zotac 1070 8gb Mini gpu.

Does anyone have an idea of how badly my cpu will bottleneck my gpu (for gaming purposes)? And any suggestions on a budget upgrade to the cpu?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

It will depend on the game, the rest of your specs, & the resolution you're playing at:
-- at 1080p, you're more likely to see a CPU bottleneck
-- at 1440p, you're probably going to see a good balance. There might be some min/avg lapses on CPU-bound games, but tweaking your graphics settings will probably smooth it out
-- at 4K, you're going to have a massive GPUI bottleneck (it's not the best choice for 4K resolutions by a long shot).
-- you'll have more problems if your...
Yes a 1070 will bottleneck an 8100, it will bottleneck even an 8370
A 1060 can even bottleneck an 8370 slightly

Even under the assumption that your board will support the faster FX chips, they are not going to give you enough boost to remotely be worth the price difference.
Money will be much much better spent saving to upgrade to ryzen or intel.

MRBANG1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I completely agree with above poster, since you already have the card and installed it, not much you can do but to enjoy it. Your FX will bottleneck it quite a bit, and even the 8370 would as well. Just carry the card over to your next platform when you upgrade and it can really perform.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador

It will depend on the game, the rest of your specs, & the resolution you're playing at:
-- at 1080p, you're more likely to see a CPU bottleneck
-- at 1440p, you're probably going to see a good balance. There might be some min/avg lapses on CPU-bound games, but tweaking your graphics settings will probably smooth it out
-- at 4K, you're going to have a massive GPUI bottleneck (it's not the best choice for 4K resolutions by a long shot).
-- you'll have more problems if your monitor has a high refresh rate (i.e. 120-144Hz). On a 60Hz monitor, you'll notice a lot less difference.

Depending on your motherboard, as pointed out you may want to look into overclocking the CPU to squeeze some more performance out of it. That'll run you $20-50USD for a cooler. Barring that, if you prefer sticking to stock speeds, your motherboard might be able to handle one of the FX-8300 line of CPUs. If you're limited to 95W CPUs, the FX-8300 offers some decent speed improvement (about 0.5GHz faster on base & Turbo speeds). If it can handle 125W CPUs, you'll want an FX-8350/-8370 (1.2GHz faster base, 0.5GHz faster Turbo).

Beyond that, however, it might be time to start looking for a platform upgrade. Depending on your budget, you might be able to afford a switch to a Ryzen 3 or 5 build, which would provide plenty of performance (& maybe even prep you for moving to 1440p/144Hz gaming in the near future).

Solution