Will all ddr4 memory work with both x99 and 100 series motherboards?

G

Hello.
Dominator® Platinum Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit (CMD64GX4M4B3000C15)
corsair says on there website it's designed for 100 series motherboards. Will it work on my x99 extreme4? They show a 32GB set designed for intel x99 series but no 64GB set.
Thank you for your replies in advance :)

Solution
In theory it should, but unless you use something from the motherboard's QVL list, there's a slight chance it may be incompatible. Mobo makers don't test every RAM combination even though most will probably work. Memory specified for X99 or 100 series supposedly has been optimized for that chipset through microcode, but I've seen enough RAM used with the chipset that it hasn't been optimized for that it doesn't seem to be a big problem.
In theory it should, but unless you use something from the motherboard's QVL list, there's a slight chance it may be incompatible. Mobo makers don't test every RAM combination even though most will probably work. Memory specified for X99 or 100 series supposedly has been optimized for that chipset through microcode, but I've seen enough RAM used with the chipset that it hasn't been optimized for that it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Solution

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Generally for the x99 try to buy something that it has been proven to work. Crucial tend to have really good compatibility. Also for the x99 it is not a good idea to mix and match. When you buy your parts/system it is advised to buy all the memory you are going to need all together. Even if they are the same type of memory (brand, frequence, timings) there have been a lot issues.

G

May just go with 32GB kit to be safe then and maybe less issues down the line. One reason I wanted the 64GB kit was for the 3000mhz but doesn't seem like corsair made any with intentions for x99 or maybe I'm just not finding it. online retailers make no mention of it.. Didn't look into any other brand since I really like the look of corsair dominator brand but will definitely look into other brands now.
Also I Knew about not mixing memory, and buy it all at once in same kit. from lots of research and reading.