[SOLVED] Will AMD 5950x & GeForce GTX 1660 ARMOR 6G OC Graphics card Bottleneck

Jun 21, 2021
Hello Guys & Gals,

I'm looking for some advice. I feel I already know the answer but looking for confirmation that I'd have some major bottleneck.

I am looking at buying a new AMD 5950x 16 core/ 32 thread CPU to replace my old 3rd Gen 17-3770K that I've had for 8 years. The 3900x is also an option. Basically, A complete new build except my GeForce GTX 1660 ARMOR 6G OC Graphics card taken from my current system.

Am I right to think I'd have a bottleneck with with this CPU/GPU combo in new build?

Other components would be DDR4 3600 @32G / M2 PCI-E 4 SSD'S in new system etc

I use my Samsung TV @ 60HZ @ 1920 x 1080 or my Asus monitor at 75HZ 1080p when playing games. I have no plan to upgrade displays at this time. But may do in the future to a 144HZ monitor.

Any advice/ Thoughts welcomed.

Solution
1080p monitor seems more like the bottleneck here. No real need for extreme graphics upgrades if you are sticking with that for now.

The CPU is extreme overkill. Unless you plan on multitasking, while encoding, and streaming, and compressing files in the background, etc. Or have some other non-gaming purpose for the computer.

5600X is plenty for gaming. 5800X if you want a little more longevity. 5900X is the sweet spot for gaming/streaming.

PCie 4 storage is overrated. Only really useful if you have multiple drives and need to move files around a lot. PCIe 3.0 drives are plenty fast for general use (really SATA SSDs, but not a huge price difference) 4.0 drives tend to overheat as well (so do 3.0 drives with extended writes)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1080p monitor seems more like the bottleneck here. No real need for extreme graphics upgrades if you are sticking with that for now.

The CPU is extreme overkill. Unless you plan on multitasking, while encoding, and streaming, and compressing files in the background, etc. Or have some other non-gaming purpose for the computer.

5600X is plenty for gaming. 5800X if you want a little more longevity. 5900X is the sweet spot for gaming/streaming.

PCie 4 storage is overrated. Only really useful if you have multiple drives and need to move files around a lot. PCIe 3.0 drives are plenty fast for general use (really SATA SSDs, but not a huge price difference) 4.0 drives tend to overheat as well (so do 3.0 drives with extended writes)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
If you're asking can the CPU drive more powerful cards, the answer is yes.

If you are asking does the CPU drive the GTX1660 to it's fullest, the answer is also yes.

I wouldn't call it a bottleneck necessarily.

At 1080p 75hz, You are not losing out on anything. Could you push more FPS with a stronger card, yes, you can. Same would be for most PC's with a GPU upgrade. The uplift in performance will happen most of the time to varying degrees based on what CPU you have.

Don't get hung up on the term 'bottleneck', it's a bit of a misnomer.

TRENDING THREADS