[SOLVED] Will an NH-D15 have enough clearance for the G.Skill Ripjaws V's RAM's height?

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
I wanted to ask this because there is no local stock of NH-D15 from where I am, and I will be ordering online, and refunding will be difficult. Or am I good with an NH-U12S? The place has high humidity and CPU temp runs at 50+ Celsius on idle, and 60-70 Celsius when playing games. CPU is not overclocked.

My case's width is around 201mm, should that be enough for the NH-D15 or the NH-U12S?

Specs:
MSI B450M Mortar Max
Ryzen 5 2600
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz
MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming MX
Corsair CV550 550W

Solution
Let's say, I am able to get a wider chassis that will fit the NH-D15, will it have the height clearance for the G.Skill Ripjaws V?
NH-D15: 165mm, front fan has 32mm of clearance for low profile ram. The front fan will need to be raised up for each mm over that, plus 1mm more so that the fan and ram aren't actually touching.
Ripjaws V: 42mm
Chassis height: ?

Or you could simply install both fans behind their respective towers... NH-D15S also says hi.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
There's a part missing from the equation: your chassis, and how much clearance it has for cpu air coolers.

It is an unknown case brand, Rakk Hawani Flow.
My case's dimensions are: 435mm L, 201mm W, 451mm H

The clearance on the back of the case for cable management is 15mm/1.5cm.

CPU height + motherboard standoffs' height, also 15mm maybe? That would leave 171mm clearance?

The Deepcool Gammaxx GTE fits in a build I saw, if this helps?

Last edited:
I wanted to ask this because there is no local stock of NH-D15 from where I am, and I will be ordering online, and refunding will be difficult. Or am I good with an NH-U12S? The place has high humidity and CPU temp runs at 50+ Celsius on idle, and 60-70 Celsius when playing games. CPU is not overclocked.

My case's width is around 201mm, should that be enough for the NH-D15 or the NH-U12S?

Specs:
MSI B450M Mortar Max
Ryzen 5 2600
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz
MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming MX
Corsair CV550 550W

Plenty of room on the NH-D15 for those memory sticks...it features a cutout on the heatsink for tall memory. Your case may be too narrow by a few mm. Mine is 210mm wide and the ND-D15 clears with no problem.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Plenty of room on the NH-D15 for those memory sticks...it features a cutout on the heatsink for tall memory.

If I put another fan on the right side of the NH-D15, will it not hit the sticks? Or is it advisable to put one fan in the middle of the heatsink and the other near the exhaust of the case?
I am also concerned about the height of the NH-D15, my case's overall width is only 201mm, not including the back of the case (15mm clearance) and the height of the motherboard standoffs (also 15mm maybe?).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I took a look around, and...
I could not find the cpu cooler clearance for that chassis. For whatever dumb reason, they list everything else but that... WTH.
Found a review... nothing.

So what I did next was look up the non-Flow model and look at the dimensions of the 2:
Flow(LWH): 400mm x 201mm x 435mm
Non-Flow(LWH): 435mm x 201mm x 453mm
Fortunately, the non-Flow actually had cpu cooler clearance listed at 160mm. They're both the same width, so what are the odds of having vastly different cpu air cooler clearance...

Forget ram clearance, NH-D15 wouldn't fit in there, as it's 165mm tall.

The Deepcool Gammaxx GTE fits in a build I saw, if this helps?
It's 157.4mm tall. If your chassis allows up to 160mm tall coolers, then of course it'd fit.

Or am I good with an NH-U12S?
158mm tall, thus will fit. It also doesn't cross paths with ram.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Ok, I took a look around, and...
I could not find the cpu cooler clearance for that chassis. For whatever dumb reason, they list everything else but that... WTH.
Found a review... nothing.

So what I did next was look up the non-Flow model and look at the dimensions of the 2:
Flow(LWH): 400mm x 201mm x 435mm
Non-Flow(LWH): 435mm x 201mm x 453mm
Fortunately, the non-Flow actually had cpu cooler clearance listed at 160mm. They're both the same width, so what are the odds of having vastly different cpu air cooler clearance...

Forget ram clearance, NH-D15 wouldn't fit in there, as it's 165mm tall.

It's 157.4mm tall. If your chassis allows up to 160mm tall coolers, then of course it'd fit.

158mm tall, thus will fit. It also doesn't cross paths with ram.

It's a really cheap case, I apologise, got it for 25USD or so. It was the only case available for me that had filters on top, bottom and front.

Let's say, I am able to get a wider chassis that will fit the NH-D15, will it have the height clearance for the G.Skill Ripjaws V?
Huge heatsink = better heat dissipation = longer CPU lifespan, is that correct?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NH-D15: 165mm, front fan has 32mm of clearance for low profile ram. The front fan will need to be raised up for each mm over that, plus 1mm more so that the fan and ram aren't actually touching.

Or you could simply install both fans behind their respective towers... NH-D15S also says hi.

Solution

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015

I'm unsure what case I will be getting but I will keep a lookout for the case's cpu cooler compatibility. I really haven't thought about getting a huge CPU cooler with a huge heatsink, it just came to me because when I played a game, it crashed and the motherboard's CPU LED lit up, which means it was a CPU Fail.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
The cpu led lighting up in the middle of operation usually points to cpu temperature throttling...

So, the CPU reached a very high temp?

I really want a Noctua and all I can see are the NH-U9S which only has a 125mm max height with a fairly huge heatsink but only a single 92mm fan. It also states 100% RAM compatibility.
The other is an NH-U12A with a 158mm max height and a smaller heatsink than the NH-U9S but has 2 120mm fans. 100% RAM compatibility also as stated in the specifications.

Which do you suggest please? A large heatsink with 1 fan or a small heatsink with dual fan?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, the CPU reached a very high temp?
Likely. Have you been monitoring thermals when these cpu light events happen?

Which do you suggest please? A large heatsink with 1 fan or a small heatsink with dual fan?
That's a bit too simple. It depends on the cooler.
The NH-U12A is a bit of an odd man out - for it's size, it does pretty well against the larger models, but with high power cpus, it starts to lag a little behind them.

If you're ok with the price, it'll serve you well for quite some time, or until you get bored of it or something.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Likely. Have you been monitoring thermals when these cpu light events happen?
I have not, I quickly sent a refund of the game (AC Valhalla). Some said Hwinfo64 can do a log while it runs but I have the slightest idea on how to do it and I'm not sure if the log will be automatically saved after a sudden shutdown of the PC.

That's a bit too simple. It depends on the cooler.
The NH-U12A is a bit of an odd man out - for it's size, it does pretty well against the larger models, but with high power cpus, it starts to lag a little behind them.

If you're ok with the price, it'll serve you well for quite some time, or until you get bored of it or something.
I see, but is the NH-U12A better than the NH-U9S ? Or Deepcool Gammaxx GTE / GTE V2? I don't really know what to look at when choosing CPU Coolers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's better than the NH-U9S, but you might not see a large difference compared to the NH-U12A, because a Ryzen 2600 isn't a particularly hot chip. The stronger cooler would come in handy for later cpu swaps, though.

Deepcool Gammaxx GTE / GTE V2: Good budget coolers - would also work with a Ryzen 2600.

I don't really know what to look at when choosing CPU Coolers.
It's best to find recent - or as recent as possible - reviews.

Also:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1F-qliSUk

Last edited:

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
It's better than the NH-U9S, but you might not see a large difference compared to the NH-U12A, because a Ryzen 2600 isn't a particularly hot chip. The stronger cooler would come in handy for later cpu swaps, though.

Deepcool Gammaxx GTE / GTE V2: Good budget coolers - would also work with a Ryzen 2600.
Yes, a stronger cooler would be ideal. I'd probably need to change the case if I want a 165mm tall CPU Air Cooler. I have already found a case that has a 168mm CPU Cooler height clearance, Deepcool Matrexx 55 and 50, just need to choose which of the two.

Can you really change the orientation of the clips to be able to mount the fans behind each towers? 1 in the middle, and 1 in the left side? RAM clearance won't be a problem if that is doable.