will an overclocked intel pentium 63258 bottleneck a msi n760 4gb ddr5 or gigabyte r9 280 3gb gddr5 256 bit?

loik123

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
I got a tight Budget right now and Im planning to Buy an Intel Pentium G3258 and overclock it to provide more money for the GPU and im Thinking Should I go for an Intel Pentium G3258 or an i5-4690k which would be more cost efficient?(Getting a Decent Processor or a Decent GPU and Upgrading it later or vice versa) and If I choose the the G3258 would it bottleneck the GPU's Above? Please help Im really lost :O

Solution
Realistically the CPU is likely to cap your performance before the GPUs do, however you'll still get some very good performance.

You will notice a deficit in highly threaded games and large multiplayer environments, though not as much as you would expect. The whole threaded gaming situation is potentially an issue, however most games still rely on two very strong threads, which the Pentium will provide.

fkr

Splendid
yes it will and especially on some multiplayer games and MMO's.

the thing is in some games that are not CPU intensive then you will massively better framerates with a better GPU but in other games where ram and CPU are reaally pushed like arma you will lose allot of performance.

this is really a game by game kinda decision

personally I would get a better CPU and then go for a used MSI twin frzr 7950 which is the exact same as a r9 280. MSI goes by the manufactured on date and does not need a receipt for a warranty or RMA claim.

If you look on ebay you will see them selling for $125 and you can find some that were made in the middle of last year which still gives them 16-24 months of warranty left.

I have bought these cards used and my daughter spilled juice on the card while it was running and they still replaced it free of charge.

http://us.msi.com/page/warranty#w-vga

above is how to read the s/n. i think evga might do this also but i have never tried.

btw the one i RMA's was actually sold in korea and then made its way to the states which there policy says they will not honor but they did anyway because I bought it used in the states and that was good enough for them.

loik123

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

Thanks I'll keep it in mind :)

loik123

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

Thanks for the Suggestion :)

Montblanchill

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Realistically the CPU is likely to cap your performance before the GPUs do, however you'll still get some very good performance.

You will notice a deficit in highly threaded games and large multiplayer environments, though not as much as you would expect. The whole threaded gaming situation is potentially an issue, however most games still rely on two very strong threads, which the Pentium will provide.

Solution