[SOLVED] Will Asus hyper m.2 x16 card V2 Work with Ryzen 7 B450 Mobo?

Nov 17, 2020
Hi all,

I have a B450 Pro Carbon Max Wifi Motherboard with a Ryzen 7 3700X

I already have 1 NVME on the first M.2 Slot, but I want potentially 2 more. I was looking at Asus hyper m.2 x16 card V2 but it is really confusing, I can't seem to work out if it will work for my set up or not...

From what I understand so far, if I use the asus pci m.2 expansion card, it will work, but would there be limitations? I don't care about Gen4 NVMEs, it will all be gen3, so can someone help me with this?

Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-MAX-WIFI/Specification

Asus expansion slot: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD-V2/

If this doesn't work, does anyone recommend a pcie expansion card for 2 extra m.2 slots ?

My full specs:

MSI B450 Pro Carbon Max Wifi
Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB RAM (2x16)
2tb Sabrent Rocket NVME
Asus Dual RTX 3070
Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh
PSU: Corsair RM750 750W 80 PLUS Gold

Many thanks!

Solution
I'm not sure about this, so please, someone correct or agree with me, but it should not work.

The asus hyper m.2 card splits 16 lanes into 4, 4x lanes.
Problem with that, is that the card doesn't do that, the motherboard does it in a process called bifurcation, that is supported on X series (X370, X470, X570) and the new B550, but not B450.
2 seperate single slot m.2 expansion cards should work though.
Yeah I agree and this is relatively unexplored territory. While their are a few rare reports of using it on boards that are not on the specification list I didn't see any for this board.

It requires a PCIe x16 3.0 slot that supports lane bifurcation, ASUS has B450 boards -- but only SOME work at all and only ONE...
I'm not sure about this, so please, someone correct or agree with me, but it should not work.

Problem with that, is that the card doesn't do that, the motherboard does it in a process called bifurcation, that is supported on X series (X370, X470, X570) and the new B550, but not B450.

RealBeast

Titan

Yeah I agree and this is relatively unexplored territory. While their are a few rare reports of using it on boards that are not on the specification list I didn't see any for this board.

It requires a PCIe x16 3.0 slot that supports lane bifurcation, ASUS has B450 boards -- but only SOME work at all and only ONE can support 2 NVMe slots, all the other ASUS B450 listed use one or none.

The MSI B450 Pro Carbon Max Wifi has only one x16 3.0 slot (PCIE_1) and the other is 2.0 so won't work. So it could work, IF PCIE_1 has PCIe lane bifurcation in the bios as there are no specific drivers required -- so it is possible that it could support 1 or maybe even 2 M.2 devices.

I do not think it worth the risk to maybe get one slot and a very unlikely chance at two, with the use of the x16 3.0 so the GPU goes to the 2.0 slot. Moreover, I don't see the point of more than 2 NVMe drives on a non-workstation desktop machine and I've been dealing with bleeding edge storage devices for decades.

It reminds me of using chipset RAID. If you really need RAID you need an expensive dedicated card. IMO if you really need more than two NVMe drives buy a board that is known to support it (some ASUS X470 and X570 boards as listed).

Solution

It requires a PCIe x16 3.0 slot that supports lane bifurcation, ASUS has B450 boards -- but only SOME work at all and only ONE can support 2 NVMe slots, all the other ASUS B450 listed use one or none.

The MSI B450 Pro Carbon Max Wifi has only one x16 3.0 slot (PCIE_1) and the other is 2.0 so won't work. So it could work, IF PCIE_1 has PCIe lane bifurcation in the bios as there are no specific drivers required -- so it is possible that it could support 1 or maybe even 2 M.2 devices.

I do not think it worth the risk to maybe get one slot and a very unlikely chance at two, with the use of the x16 3.0 so the GPU goes to the 2.0 slot. Moreover, I don't see the point of more than 2 NVMe drives on a non-workstation desktop machine and I've been dealing with bleeding edge storage devices for decades.

It reminds me of using chipset RAID. If you really need RAID you need an expensive dedicated card. IMO if you really need more than two NVMe drives buy a board that is known to support it (some ASUS X470 and X570 boards as listed).
All X series boards should work, since it's part of the chipset to support bifurcation.

tived

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005
Hi there,

if you can make it work in your slot 1, closest to your CPU, usually where the GPU goes. it is the PCIe x16 slot. not sure if you even that many PCIe lanes - I have the Gigabyte version in a x570 board and I can only get two drives to work in it out of 4.

this is really for Threadripper's and similar boards where you have ample PCIe lanes

there are some add-on boards which can take 2 m.2 drives which doesn't require x16 slots

it is very frustrating

Henrik

Hi all,

I have a B450 Pro Carbon Max Wifi Motherboard with a Ryzen 7 3700X

I already have 1 NVME on the first M.2 Slot, but I want potentially 2 more. I was looking at Asus hyper m.2 x16 card V2 but it is really confusing, I can't seem to work out if it will work for my set up or not...

From what I understand so far, if I use the asus pci m.2 expansion card, it will work, but would there be limitations? I don't care about Gen4 NVMEs, it will all be gen3, so can someone help me with this?

Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-MAX-WIFI/Specification

Asus expansion slot: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD-V2/

If this doesn't work, does anyone recommend a pcie expansion card for 2 extra m.2 slots ?

My full specs:

MSI B450 Pro Carbon Max Wifi
Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB RAM (2x16)
2tb Sabrent Rocket NVME
Asus Dual RTX 3070
Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh
PSU: Corsair RM750 750W 80 PLUS Gold

Many thanks!

Nov 17, 2020
Wow, thanks everyone for your replies!!

I do understand I have really weird requirements, and I want a lot of fast storage (NVMEs), anything over 2TB nvme are really really expensive, while 1/2TB NVME's are relatively good value imo. So I kinda want maybe 3 NVME's or more later.

I looked at a list of supported motherboards on the asus website and it still wasn't very clear :/ it's just maybe B450 can use this expansion card with 2 NVME but i really dont know.

For now I think i'll just chill with 2 NVMEs, in the future I guess its worth changing motherboards or something as well.

Nov 17, 2020
Hi there,

if you can make it work in your slot 1, closest to your CPU, usually where the GPU goes. it is the PCIe x16 slot. not sure if you even that many PCIe lanes - I have the Gigabyte version in a x570 board and I can only get two drives to work in it out of 4.

this is really for Threadripper's and similar boards where you have ample PCIe lanes

there are some add-on boards which can take 2 m.2 drives which doesn't require x16 slots

it is very frustrating

Henrik

But there's no way I can use that slot right? I've got a 3070 GPU there :sweatsmile:

Nov 17, 2020

I see, this is my first build and I really have barely any knowledge, so does the single slot expansion card refer to something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SupaGeek-P...p/B07CBJ6RH7/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B01FU9JS94

Nov 17, 2020

Thanks for the in-depth answer!
This is my first time building a PC, so even with a lot of research i'm still a bit slow, hope you guys understand.

The main reason for my weird requirements is that I want to dual boot (and I currently am doing so), but I want to expand my storage with NVMEs, I just really hate how other storages regardless of it being SSD or HDD are significantly slower, the other person suggested a single slot PCI expansion card, I assume like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SupaGeek-P...p/B07CBJ6RH7/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B01FU9JS94

Do you think this will work? If I get maybe 2/3 of these? (Since using these pci slots disable the second m.2 slot on the board)

Nov 17, 2020
What shows up is m.2 to usb adapters, but It's something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rivo-PCI-Ris...d=1606140763&sr=8-8&tag=georiot-us-default-20

Wait really? the link was for a 'M.2 SSD to PCIe Express 3.0 x4 Adapter Card' what about this link:

Wait really? the link was for a 'M.2 SSD to PCIe Express 3.0 x4 Adapter Card' what about this link:
Yup.
That card would support 1 m.2, and you can buy 2 of them in put them in seperate slots.
If you wanted it to be in 1 slot on a non-bifurcation board you would need this expensive thing: https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-PEX...80&refresh=1&sr=8-7&tag=georiot-us-default-20
It has what I believe is called PLX chip, and splits the 8 into 4 and 4.

computer-guy

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
I have a Asus Hyper M.2 16 V2 and I am using an asus B450M-A CSM board. Sadly, the bios only allows for 2 of the 4 NVMe drives. Somehow, Asus limits what MB and maybe what processor can support 4 drives on their own card I paid good money for - WTF Asus