Will CAT6 improve my down/upload speeds?

bran_donger

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
My connection states it's running at 100 Mbps, but a speed test gave me a result of a mere 6.67/5.39 Mbps down/upload speed.

I'm currently connected with a CAT5e cable; will getting a CAT6 cable increase speeds?

Other info: I have Verizon FiOS.

Solution
The port controls the speed not the cable. Cat5e is rated to run at 1g. If you hook it to a 100m port it will run at 100m. A cat6 cable will do the same exact thing there really is no advantage unless you happen to have 10g ports and then you really should use cat6a anyway.

Now if you have gig ports and the equipment is negotiating 100m you could have a defective cable you need to try another one.

Speed test is not a valid test to check cables in your house. You are using a server outside your house and there are many things in between that can cause issues.
The port controls the speed not the cable. Cat5e is rated to run at 1g. If you hook it to a 100m port it will run at 100m. A cat6 cable will do the same exact thing there really is no advantage unless you happen to have 10g ports and then you really should use cat6a anyway.

Now if you have gig ports and the equipment is negotiating 100m you could have a defective cable you need to try another one.

Speed test is not a valid test to check cables in your house. You are using a server outside your house and there are many things in between that can cause issues.

Solution
There are a couple of lan testing software. You would need 2 devices inside your house. IPERF is a very old line mode command that is used to test just the network part of a pc but it will test your cables at the same time. You pretty much plug 2 machine into the router and see how fast you can get. In most cases you will get very close to the port speed either 100m or 1g.

Generally when people suspect they have cable problems they just try another cable because it is so inexpensive and take less time. There is almost no difference in price between cat5e and cat6 so buy what ever is cheapest. The main difference in a patch cable is going to be things like the flexibility, what the outside jacket is made of, the type of ends and of course the all important color. But since they all run only as fast as the port allows them to you will not see any performance difference.

Once you are very sure your equipment in your house is fine then you need to call the ISP there could be problems with the connection to your house.

With FIOS if verison has the ethernet port on the ONT active plugging directly into that with a pc tends to be your best way to eliminate equipment in your house as the cause of the problem.