Will changing my power supply and case be fine for my computer?

Sep 10, 2018
My current situation is that I have a solid working computer that I use for light gaming and browsing and it does the job fairly well, but I want an upgrade and don't like how slow my computer gets sometimes with booting, loading many things at a time, and the overall aesthetics (small problem, but still important for me)

Background of computer: Around 4 years ago I bought a pre-built office computer consisting of a Coolermaster CMP 102 case (that came with a 500W generic PSU), a cheap motherboard that I don't remember, and other components on the motherboard that I don't remember, no graphics card, and a Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD. I took out the motherboard (and everything on it including the RAM, CPU, and stock CPU cooler) and HDD, kept the case and the generic power supply, and bought the components listed down below.

I have several questions:
1. Is it fine to get another brand for my RAM; My budget computer has 4gb of APACER 4gb 2400MHz RAM, but I don't really like the brand and would rather get a more reputable brand of RAM, is it suggested I stick with the same brand or would there be no repercussions if I were to change brands?

2. Is it fine to change my PSU and Case even though I already have working ones?; I can't afford a new computer so I was wondering if it would be fine if I were to change them completely with the components below

My current specs:
Pentium G4600 (base clock)
Gigabyte H110M-H Motherboard
Galax GTX 1050 (factory overclock)
APACER 4gb 2400MHz RAM (1 stick)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM 1TB
Coolermaster CMP 102
PSU came with the case

What I want to buy:
HyperX Fury 4GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
Seasonic M12II-620W PSU
Western Digital Green SSD 120gb
Cougar MX330 Mid Tower Case

FYI::::::::::::::::::: I LIVE IN THE PHILIPPINES SO I AM VERY LIMITED TO WHAT I CAN BUY, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO BUY BUT RATHER IF WHAT I AM DOING WOULD WORK

Solution
What you propose will work, at least up to a point.

I have some thoughts:

1. On ram, are you looking for 8gb, or are you simply trying to replace the brand.
Apacer as a brand is fine. Test the ram with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

hyperx is also good.

If you want 8gb, just adding 4gb is not guaranteed to work.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks...
1st thing: Ram does not like being paired with other rams that arent a match. They can casue issues. (hence why ppl suggest sets all the time) Brand of ram doesnt matter as long as its correct model for your MB it will work.

2nd: case and PSU can be swapped at will. I have changed from a store bought acer and upgraded the PSU and case. It is just a bit time consuming first time doing as you need to remember/take a pic of some connections and where they go. (and assuming u already check if ur Motherboard will fit in the case ur getting)

u can change everything in a desktop w/o worry as logn as they are not incompatible parts (like a cpu on wrong chipset MB, wrong type of ram, etc.)

the benefit of a windows desktop is its customization and upgrade ability. (unlike a certain other computer maker who at times literally solders ram in theirs...)

What you propose will work, at least up to a point.

I have some thoughts:

1. On ram, are you looking for 8gb, or are you simply trying to replace the brand.
Apacer as a brand is fine. Test the ram with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

hyperx is also good.

If you want 8gb, just adding 4gb is not guaranteed to work.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Sometimes increasing the ram voltage in the bios will make things work.

Better to buy a 2 x 4gb matched kit and sell your old 4gb or keep it as a spare.

2. You are good on changing out both the psu and case.
But... what is your objective?
Seasonic is a good psu, but if your 500w generic is doing the job, why change it out.
On the case, looks count, but I see no big difference.

3. 120gb is too small for a windows C drive. Many things default to the C drive.
As the ssd fills up to 90% it will lose performance and endurance.
Look for 240gb.

Solution