[SOLVED] Will daisychaining case fans burn the fans wires?

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Hi all,

I want to daisychain 6 × 0.2A / PWM / 120 mm case fans. In Win Pure ASP120 White, ARGB, PWM, ASP120FAN-1PK.

The fans, themselves, have the extra header, for daisy chaining. So, no splitters, no nothing. Just the fans, as they come out of the box, one, connected to the other.
I will be using just the 3A HAMP header, on my Asus X570 Formula motherboard.

Now, I know that the motherboard's HAMP header can easily support the total >=1.2A.

MY QUESTION IS: WILL THE FIRST 2-3 FANS WIRES, ESPECIALLY, THE FIRST FAN WIRE, WHICH WILL TAKE THE LOAD OF ALL 6 FANS, FROM THE MB, BE ABLE TO SUPPORT THE 1.2A, OR WILL IT OVERHEAT/BURN?

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:
Solution
I was rather surprised not to see some info on that within the user manual. I have some Arctic PWM fans and I recall the literature stating not to chain more than (3) together. It might not be a bad idea to call or write InWin and see if they have a definite answer.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was rather surprised not to see some info on that within the user manual. I have some Arctic PWM fans and I recall the literature stating not to chain more than (3) together. It might not be a bad idea to call or write InWin and see if they have a definite answer.

Reactions: TeioDra
Solution

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Well, I just ordered them, so, I'll check the manual when I'll get them.
Still, your information should apply in my case, too, as this type of wires are standardized at the same gauge. But my motherboard has this 3A 4-pin fan header, meaning that the wires that go into it should take it.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, I just ordered them, so, I'll check the manual when I'll get them.
Still, your information should apply in my case, too, as this type of wires are standardized at the same gauge. But my motherboard has this 3A 4-pin fan header, meaning that the wires that go into it should take it.

The manual for them is also on InWin's site and (hopefully) was looking at the same one.
My concern certainly isn't the header, but as you already pointed out the sheer current running through for (6) fans on that small gauge wire. Just being the worrier that I tend to be, I would probably utilize a hub or another available header and split them up.

Reactions: TeioDra

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
The manual for them is also on InWin's site and (hopefully) was looking at the same one.
My concern certainly isn't the header, but as you already pointed out the sheer current running through for (6) fans on that small gauge wire. Just being the worrier that I tend to be, I would probably utilize a hub or another available header and split them up.
The manual only reffers to the steps for installing 3 fans. No mentioning about going over. I guess it's not safe.
The 6 fans that I'm replacing for being loud (bios only alows minimum 900 rpm, though they're rated for 800, min.) were on individual headers, so, headers aren't a problem. I would preffer a clean cable management, given that the MB has that 3A header. Still, a potential fire hazard is to be prevented, even with a simple diy situation, like mine. I can use two headers.

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Looks like simplest and safest solution would to make two chains of 3 fans each and use 2-to-1 splitter cable to connect both chains to header. That way no cable will take more then 0.6 A which they should handle easily.
I don't have a splitter. I think that I'll have to go with 2 MB headers. Are the splitter's wires thicker than those on the fans?

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Actually the first fan in the chain (which connects to the motherboard) will see the most current on its wires and connectors.
Corrected "last" to "first". I wrote "last", as I view this as daisychaining the fans one after another and the last one, technically, goes into the MB. Though, when mounted, it actually is the first. So, good point.