[SOLVED] Will ddr5 improve gaming

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Hello guys ,
I have been contemplating upgrading my pc in the next couple of months which uses ddr4 but after some research have discovered ddr5 could be 2020/21 so forth . My question however is what is this going to provide in terms of gaming ? I’m not worried about other things like video editing, streaming Or things like that . Just gaming . Overall is there going to be a difference in FPS or performance going from ddr4 to ddr5 ?

thank you 😊

Solution
Hello guys ,
I have been contemplating upgrading my pc in the next couple of months which uses ddr4 but after some research have discovered ddr5 could be 2020/21 so forth . My question however is what is this going to provide in terms of gaming ? I’m not worried about other things like video editing, streaming Or things like that . Just gaming . Overall is there going to be a difference in FPS or performance going from ddr4 to ddr5 ?

thank you 😊
No, because you can't change to DDR5 in isolation. There can't be a direct comparison of DDR4 and DDR5.
That requires a different motherboard and CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys ,

thank you 😊
No, because you can't change to DDR5 in isolation. There can't be a direct comparison of DDR4 and DDR5.

Solution

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012

well see this is why I was asking . Currently I own a i76700k , gtx 1080ti ... I was wanting to upgrade my pc stage by stage . Processor and motherboard .. then down the line this year an rtx 3080 ( as suggestions suggest they’re definitely coming this year ) but if I am better off waiting for ddr5 if there will be a good performance rise I will wait . Though in saying that the performance rise would be against say the latest i7 or amd processor depending on what I get . I’m guessing there won’t be that much of a difference going from ddr4 to ddr5 with the hardware I mentioned . Meaning when the processor comes out for ddr5 it won’t be that much different then say an i7 upcoming 10th gen processor ? dont mean to sound to confusing 😂

USAFRet

Titan
You don't 'wait for DDR5'.
You might wait for a whole new platform that uses a next level of CPU and motherboard, along with DDR5.

But any performance increase will not be only due to the different RAM.

And you don't upgrade in stages.
At most, a new GPU. The rest of it all at once.

If you look at what happened with DDR4 when it launched vs DDR3 and compare the i7 6700k (DDR4) vs i7 4790k (DDR3) the increase in gaming performance was only a small incremental step. I guess that without a significant improvement in the whole platform and especially cpu performance any potential gains from the new DDR4 were barely leveraged and it took further generations to utilise more potential.

DSzymborski

Titan
There will always be better performance, better features, more frames per second on your games down the road. Unless we're talking something huge that's coming tomorrow or in a few weeks, it makes zero practical sense chasing some far off improvement.