Will downgrading from an i7 7700k to a 6700k cause MOBO problems?

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
The Question: Are there any problems if I were to downgrade my 7700k to a 6700k? My 7700k now is currently setup with an MSI Gaming M3 z270 mobo and is cooled by an NZXT Kraken x62. Also got 16gb of Trident Z RAM running at 3000MHZ. Problem mentioned below.

The Issue (If you would like to know why I'm downgrading): So I am currently running an i7 7700k with an MSI Gaming M3 Z270 Mobo cooled by an NZXT Kraken x62 AiO. I've been having a ton of problems with my 7700k such as it hitting 100*C on stock GHz when torture testing or just playing videogames. It's been hitting really high idles around 47*-57*C. Even tried running all the fans at the highest RPMs and it seemed to stay where it's at. I've heard others being able to OC their 7700k's to 4.5GHz with no such temps like 100*C load or 47*C+ on idle using the same cooler. Because of this, I've decided I would rather downgrade than deal with another 7700k. I have the option to replace or to upgrade/downgrade the CPU (if I'm correct) so I'm choosing to downgrade. Even if I cannot, any answers will be helpful towards the future.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

Cooler is seated tight and perfect. Also reapplied thermal paste twice, no changes :/

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

I haven't thought about that actually. However, none of my friends who do PC building own a z270 board. However, I could try and take both my motherboard and CPU to replace them but it could be too much of a hassle for them and myself. Especially for me since I'm driving about 2 hours there and back to do the whole replacement process.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

I've reapplied thermal paste twice. Originally used the NZXT's pre-applied thermal paste then used artic cooler 5 silver to another somewhat better paste which I had borrowed from a friend. This was about a month/2 months ago. No changes in temps through each route :/ Pumps and everything are fine according to the thread you linked. So possibly is the CPU itself but someone mentioned it could be my mobo VRM's but no way to test that.

Also my mobo supports 6th gen i7 so would that basically mean my mobo supports the change? Just want to be clear on that.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
There is simply no way you should be hitting 100 Degree's Centigrade with this CPU and Cooler combination. I have the same cooler and it's cooling an i9 7920X a 12 core CPU which is currently sitting happily at 33 Degrees Centigrade.

https://imgur.com/dIfINtP

This is what I'd suggest before doing anything like trying a different CPU, The NZXT Kraken x62 has a utility called CAM, load it and click on the icon on the left side of the CAM window labelled Cooling and look at the liquid temperature, Pump RPM and Fan RPM.

If the liquid temperature does not reflect the temperature of your CPU (within a few degrees) and the Fans are turning and the pump is running, the chances are good you need to re-apply fresh thermal paste, or perhaps the CPU block of the cooler is not making good enough contact with the CPU to function.

If the pump speed is indicating that the pump is not spinning then you either haven't connected all the required power cables, or if you have connected all the power cables you may have a defective cooler (it happens). I'm going to assume the fans are fine since you have indicated that they are turning. There is just no way you should be hitting these temps at stock, so lets start eliminating possibilities first.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

Wow, totally did not know that CAM had a cooling check but then again, I actually had installed it earlier today lol. Anyway, liquid temps are sitting around 35*C. Fan speed is at 26% with it's RPM ranging from 630-645. Pump RPM is ranging from 2230-2400 RPMs. Not sure what you meant by liquid temps reflecting CPU temps so I provided all the above. Also, thanks to CAM, it tells me when my CPU hits 80*C or higher and I have gotten quite a few today saying I've hit above 92*C playing graphic intensive games like Forza or when I'm streaming while playing games like Fortnite.

Edit: Spelling errors. Also, sick rig!

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
The liquid in the AIO is acting as the transfer material essentially transferring heat from the CPU so it should be fairly close to the CPU temp. your CPU is reporting temperatures of 80 degrees, and your Kraken AIO is reporting a fluid temperature of 35 Degrees. For some reason your KRaken cooler does not appear to be cooling the CPU. How is the Kraken radiator mounted in your system? If you have it mounted vertically, are the hoses on the bottom of the radiator as opposed to the top? if you have it mounted horizontallyare the hoses from the radiator facing downwards as opposed to upwards? I ask in case it is pumping residual air that may be in the radiator and that would hinder the abiltiy of the cooler to transfer heat. Are the hoses kinked or obstructed?

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, currently My CPU temp is 37 Degrees the liquid temperature is 34. If I was seeing a CPU temperature of 70 Degrees I'd expect to see a liquid temperature potentially a little under that as fluid passes through the radiator it is cooled before returning to the CPU to repeat the process.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

I have my radiator mounted vertically in my case. It's basically mounted the same way as every Kraken radiator is mounted in an NZXT S340 Case on photos online. Also, not entirely sure what you mean by the hoses on the bottom as opposed to the top. Oh and the liquid temp was actually sitting around 35*C on idle but then I ran p95 and it seems the temps only went up about 3*C during a 15 minute run.

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Are you sure the cooler is working properly? Maybe the pump on the water block is faulty. Even with an air cooler your CPU is not supposed to hit those temps on stock settings.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

Not entirely sure. Another guy in the thread is trying to help me solve that problem currently. Though, I do feel a slight vibration going through the pumps which I am told means the pumps are working. However I'm not entirely sure if vibrations mean the pumps are working.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
If you can feel a vibration, thats created by the motion of fluid through the cooler. With respect to hoses on the top or bottom of the radiator what I mean is that liquid is denser than air. It's normal for some air to still be trapped inside a radiator so if the hoses are at the top of the radiator, you may get air pumped around the AIO which would reduce the cooling efficiency of the AIO. If you have your cooler installed vertically, but the hoses at the bottom of the radiator, this would eliminate this as a potential problem.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

Ah ok. Yeah my hoses start from the top of the radiator. So are you suggesting I just flip the radiator so the hoses are at the bottom? If so, I can definitely try that.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I have seen some instancess were cooling efficiency was hampered because the AIO was pumping Air bubbles around the loop. since in most AIO designs the out-take and intake are in the same location this makes them fairly susceptible to that kind of problem.

If this doesn't make a difference, then you should consider having your CPU tested in a different system before you go and purchase another CPU. I'd be concerned about you making a purchase but ending up with a similar problem. :(

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

I see. I’ll definitely give it a try later today. I’ve been up all night testing and monitoring so I’m pretty worn out. With the testing on a different build, it probably would not be possible as idk anybody who runs kabylake or a z270 MB. And thanks for looking out! It would suck having to make a new purchase with the same problems :/ Anyway, I’ll let you know if anything changes, thanks again!

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

I thought about delidding but knowing all the problems I already have now with my setup, it's best not to risk delidding. I also wouldn't have to worry about delidding by just downgrading to a 6700k.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

So my case doesn't allow me to flip my radiator because nothing screws in :/ So I cannot figure out the problem at all.

Update: I did some research and learned that the backplate of the Kraken could be quite loose causing cooling problems so I gave that a check and seems like mine were also loose. Retightened those and reseated my waterblock with new thermal paste and now my CPU temps are idling at 34*C and under load, 65*-77*C! However, liquid temps are still ranging 30*-35*C when under full load. At idle the liquid temps are around 25*-28*C. Not sure if that is ok.

It sounds like you found the solution, I have an aio as well same chip with roughly same temps. Apparently you weren't getting proper contact at the block and heat transfer want happening the way it should. As long as you are under 80c give or take while stress testing you should be good to go. My cpu rarely goes over 70c, people say it's a hot chip but it's totally manageable with the right setup, INSTALLED PROPERLY OF COURSE. Glad you got it worked out

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Very Well Done Vanglex!, I'm sorry to put you through this hassle, however, it saves you several hundred bucks and you appear to have diagnosed the actual problem! Monitor it for the next few days, but if the CPU is operating under 90 Degrees, it shouldn't encounter Thermal Throttling. :)

Solution

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016

Thanks again for all the help! If you had not mentioned liquid cooling temps it would have never prompt me into looking into other issues. Since the problem, I've been monitoring the temps and I've been getting good idles around 32*C but under full loads they're about 64*C. However, they do spike up to 70*C then 86*C for about 10 minutes before coming back down to 64*C. Did some research and I read that it should be okay but I'll continue to monitor the temps.