Will DVI-D(single link) to VGA cable work on GTX1050TI?

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
I have a Palit GTX1050TI and unfortunately, I have a monitor with only VGA port.
So originally, I was thinking of buying a DVI-D to VGA adapter but while searching I found out that it won't work if it's a passive adapter. Since I think it's hard to find an active adapter here in my area, I did some research again and stumbled on a DVI-D(single link) to VGA cable. My question is, will it work on my setup? Or will it be just the same as using passive adapter?

Solution
the problem is that the 1050ti only gives a digital signal. the vga is an analog one. the "active" adapter changes the signal to an analog one that the monitor can use.

so a single link adapter is just as useless as a dual link one if it is passive. you need an active adapter to use the card with the vga monitor, no way around it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the problem is that the 1050ti only gives a digital signal. the vga is an analog one. the "active" adapter changes the signal to an analog one that the monitor can use.

so a single link adapter is just as useless as a dual link one if it is passive. you need an active adapter to use the card with the vga monitor, no way around it.

Solution

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

How about a DVI-D single link to VGA cable? Will it work? It's not an adapter, it's a cable with DVI-D on one end and VGA on the other end. Like this: Link

bignastyid

Titan

No. As we have said only an active adapter/converter will work.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right the cable is simply the adapter with a cable in the middle. still "passive" and not going to convert the digital signal to an analog one like you need.

where are you looking to shop for this? a couple online store links and we should be able to locate one if it is available. would save a ton of back n forth that will in the end go nowhere.

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Noted. Thanks guys!

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

I'm trying to find one on local stores. I never knew there was active and passive until I did some research. Could have wasted money on useless cables/adapters -_-

How about HDMI to VGA adapter or cable? Will that work? or still no?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so long as it is an active one then an hdmi to vga would also be fine. they even have display port to vga but they are harder to find.

most of the time an active one plugs into the wall for power. these models tend to perform better than ones that don't plug in.

but if you can only find one locally, then you got to go with what you can find

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Is there like a way on how to determine an active from passive? Saw someone selling HDMI to VGA but I can't distinguish if it's active or not. Here are some pics: Picture1Picture2

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
is there a model number you can see on it? i'd do a quick google search at the store to be sure exactly what it is.

it will be obvious though if it is or not once you hook it up. if it is not active then you'll get a blank screen, so a pretty simple field test to know for sure

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

I still have to ask from the seller. I'll get back to you once I get some information.

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Can you tell if this one's an active or not? DVI-D to VGA adapter

fmpsagara

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Thanks! I think I'll have to go for HDMI to VGA. I'm really having a hard time looking for DVI-D to VGA here.