[SOLVED] Will Freesync monitor work fine with a 60hz secondary? +more

pootissandvichheavy

Commendable
Aug 19, 2018
I was talking with a friend earlier, I'm looking to buy a new monitor with Freesync to use as my primary. My current primary monitor is a Dell S2009W and I am still willing to use it as a secondary once I order a new one. He told me that the refresh rate must be the same on both monitors. Is there a reason/explanation to this?

I'm not really understanding this whole thing. Am I able to run a Freesync monitor and a non-Freesync 60hz monitor just fine on the same GPU (GTX 970)? If not, is a reasonable solution to use my iGPU on the secondary? I have plenty of RAM (32gb) so I can easily set some aside.

Solution
The Nvidia 9XX series or older doesn't support the Nvidia/Freesync setup, only 10XX series or newer.

As for your question though having a Freesync with a (newer) Nvidia GPU and a non Freesync monitor at a different refresh rate works fine. I have a 1660S with Freesync via DisplayPort cable on a 2560x1080P/75hz monitor (Freesync monitor) and a secondary 1600x900/60hz monitor (Non Freesync) working perfectly..

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

WildCard999

Titan
The Nvidia 9XX series or older doesn't support the Nvidia/Freesync setup, only 10XX series or newer.

As for your question though having a Freesync with a (newer) Nvidia GPU and a non Freesync monitor at a different refresh rate works fine. I have a 1660S with Freesync via DisplayPort cable on a 2560x1080P/75hz monitor (Freesync monitor) and a secondary 1600x900/60hz monitor (Non Freesync) working perfectly..

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Solution

pootissandvichheavy

Commendable
Aug 19, 2018
I was attempting to plan more accordingly with my upgrade path.

So even with Freesync turned off, would any refresh rate monitor work in conjuction with the 60hz one I'm currently on without any kind of glitching?