[SOLVED] Will GPU supply meet demand when the next-generation graphics cards are released?

Solution
Most rumors about next-gen GPU prices say: prepare for 30-60% MSRP hikes all around with the RTX4090/RX7900 likely hitting the $2000-3000 range.

Well, 60% price hikes are relatively fair when performance is expected to be 100-140% higher too.

Availability mostly depends on whether there will be another major crypto crash and Eth 2.0's launch. As long as crypto miners soak up all of the GPU stock they can get their hands on, most gamers are screwed.
I think what you're really asking is whether GPU prices will come back down from crazytown later this year.

Unfortulately, the answer is up to NVIDIA, AMD, and AiBs. I'm going to speculate that prices will come down slightly in the summer (northern hemisphere), just to spike again during the fall and holiday season. NVIDIA, AMD, and AiBs are making more money than ever, on every GPU product they sell. They'll be loath to relinquish that profit margin and will do everything in their power to keep the price-per-product as artifically high as possible.

It could be that the RTX 3080, for $699, in September 2020 may be the last good price-for-performance GPU we see - ever.

Reactions: rockncountry

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
at the stores over here in my country, any brand new gpu stronger than a 1050ti is 500$ and up. Anything on the level of a 1660ti is super rare or cost a bomb. Yeah, a GTX 1650 cost only 300 usd, but it has become extinct long ago. lol

Nvidia and AMD are making a large fortune with these overpriced GPU's. They don't want prices to drop.

InvalidError

Titan
Most rumors about next-gen GPU prices say: prepare for 30-60% MSRP hikes all around with the RTX4090/RX7900 likely hitting the $2000-3000 range.

Well, 60% price hikes are relatively fair when performance is expected to be 100-140% higher too.

Availability mostly depends on whether there will be another major crypto crash and Eth 2.0's launch. As long as crypto miners soak up all of the GPU stock they can get their hands on, most gamers are screwed.

Solution
No, the scalpers are.
No, all of them are - Scalpers, NVIDIA, AMD, and AiBs. Check out NVIDIA's and AMD's latest quarterly earnings reports.

The latest release of last gen cards (RTX 2060 12GB) shows us the direction manufacturers are going. Their profit margin on these last gen cards is larger than the current gen. This means more money for them AND guaranteed repeat business in 1-2 years because the card is already woefully inadequate with many current AAA titles at high/max settings.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it does not matter if they make 1 mil or 100 mil cards. if 99.9% of them make it to the scalpers and miners, the price will never come down.

amd, nvidia are making a ton of money but that is not as much due to price hikes they are making but rather the fact that 100% of the cards they make sell right away. hard to not make money when you sell 100% of what you make the day you make it. nvidia did go a bit nuts with the pricing of their top tier cards but frankly anyone that was willing to pay $1000+ for ANY gpu deserves to have to pay $2000 as part of the stupid tax :p

what motivation does amd/nvidia/intel/anyone have to drop the price of an item that sells out as soon as it is made? that goes against everything basic economics is based on.

Reactions: kyubey and alceryes

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I think what you're really asking is whether GPU prices will come back down from crazytown later this year.

Unfortulately, the answer is up to NVIDIA, AMD, and AiBs. I'm going to speculate that prices will come down slightly in the summer (northern hemisphere), just to spike again during the fall and holiday season. NVIDIA, AMD, and AiBs are making more money than ever, on every GPU product they sell. They'll be loath to relinquish that profit margin and will do everything in their power to keep the price-per-product as artifically high as possible.

It could be that the RTX 3080, for $699, in September 2020 may be the last good price-for-performance GPU we see - ever.
Yeah...prices are ridiculous. I have PS5/Series X/Switch and got all three for only $100 more than what a 3080 Ti cost. Crazy!

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
It's going to be longer than a year before supply meets demand... With the new cpu's that'll be popping up and the crypto craze it's going to be tight.

It's also going to be expensive and hot for the new stuff. Lots of cost and lots of watts. But man, can't wait. Love new tech. Will also be interesting to see what lower latency cpu's can push older hardware to hit.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
just sharing... the situation here in my part of the world. GT 1030, GT 730, and GT 710 are in plentiful supply brand new in physical stores at the shopping mall near my house. Probably, since these gpu's are rather weak, and not really good for mining... so they're never sold out. The problem starts when you want something better. RX 570 and 1050ti will randomly appear in stores, but you have to be lucky to find them. For example, the 1050ti in my sig.. when I bought it a few months ago, there were still 9 left, but after only a week.. almost all were sold out when I phoned the shop. One shop staff told me they had ordered their supplier for a batch of RX 580, but so far none have been delivered, and they've been waiting a long time already. The rarest gpu's are anything Nvidia 16 series and above, this includes any RTX - and when they do appear, expect that it would take half a month's salary of the common man, or even an entire months's salary to get one. I was so close to acquiring a 1660 ti, but unfortunately, the one the shop have is an inch too long for my mobo, so had to wait for a mini to appear. :)

Nvidia and AMD are amassing wealth steadily while this GPU crisis is happening.. so it's safe to assume they want the crisis prolonged.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS