[SOLVED] Will HDMI Cable crash system when running 144hz?

AntyCrix

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
So I got two1440p 144hz monitors a while back. Decided to run 144hz on both with a displayport cable on one and HDMI on the other. I can game for about two hours with both monitors at 144hz and then the system crashes and restarts.

Here's my setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PVvj9N
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6 - core processor
ASUS TUF Gaming x570-PLUS (ATX AM4 Motherboard)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3500 CL16 Memory
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD
Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Acer XF270HU Cbmiiprx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Acer XF270HU Cbmiiprx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor

I currently have both the monitors set to 60hz and all the problems with crashing I've been having have gone away. I plan to bump up the refresh rate tomorrow to see if it can handle more. But will replacing the HDMI cable fix the issue entirely?

It's a pretty old HDMI cable and I'm not quite sure what kind of cable it is.

Any and all help is appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, system just crashed. :(

I could still use the help though

Last edited:
Solution
Alright, well it looks like it was a problem with my graphics card. Got a new one and these issues have disappeared.

EDIT: To anyone reading this, please don't buy the RX 5700 XT. Terrible card, terrible drivers.
Monitor cables or refresh rate doesn't affect system stability at all.

My general prognosis - System crash = faulty stick of RAM.

In your case (Ryzen 3000) if you're trying to run the RAM at 3600MHz, you might try 3000MHz or 3200MHz in case you're overstressing the memory controller on the CPU. The lower you drop, the more you take the CPU memory controller off the variables list.

Also (as always) return CPU and GPU settings to stock/auto for testing system stability. Again, eliminating variables.

If you've done the above steps and start testing RAM, it's generally best to test with a single stick of RAM in the system so you can pinpoint the problematic stick (if there is one)

Last edited:

AntyCrix

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Monitor cables or refresh rate doesn't affect system stability at all.

My general prognosis - System crash = faulty stick of RAM.

In your case (Ryzen 3000) if you're trying to run the RAM at 3600MHz, you might try 3000MHz or 3200MHz in case you're overstressing the memory controller on the CPU. The lower you drop, the more you take the CPU memory controller off the variables list.

Also (as always) return CPU and GPU settings to stock/auto for testing system stability. Again, eliminating variables.

If you've done the above steps and start testing RAM, it's generally best to test with a single stick of RAM in the system so you can pinpoint the problematic stick (if there is one)

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I just want to clear something up about the system crashes.

It only crashes in-game after an hour or two, and when it does, it hangs for a few seconds, then the system automatically reboots. This only started happening when I upgraded my two monitors from 1080p to 1440p. A few days ago, my computer froze up while not in-game and unfroze after a few seconds on the desktop. The system did not crash, but I got window popup from the Radeon program telling me my computer locked up and it asked to send an error report. The next day, I ran into another problem and I got graphical glitches on my desktop and had to hold the power button down as I could not get to the shut-down option on the desktop. It's been a few days and these two issues haven't happened since.

I recently decided I would buy a new video card and go with one of the scalper's cards (unfortunately there were no other better options available). If I find that I'm getting the same problems with the new card I will just return it and I will troubleshoot the RAM.

Currently, I'm running the RAM at stock speeds. I'm not overclocking anything in any of my components. Is there a program you recommend that will underclock RAM speeds for me?

Again, I appreciate your reply. I 'm hoping that my computer won't end up as a $2k paper-weight.

Last edited:

AntyCrix

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Alright, well it looks like it was a problem with my graphics card. Got a new one and these issues have disappeared.

EDIT: To anyone reading this, please don't buy the RX 5700 XT. Terrible card, terrible drivers.

Solution