Will Hyundai's Theta-III 4-cylinder engine be safe, especially with the bearing rods?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
I personally had a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe LWB and never had a problem. I think it is mainly due to the fact that it was V6. The cases for fires that is caused by engines of the V6 is rare. What's riddled with the problem is, the 4-cylinder ones. Especially with the Theta-II engines. They stall, catch fire, the pistons gather debris, make clicking sounds, and the bearing rods snap. It's all because of the poor bearing rods. They snap like crackers. They are not designed to withstand high pressure.
But I am hopeful that Hyundai is aware of this and make safety improvements on the upcoming Theta-III engines. Because V6 and V8 is slowly being phased out in Hyundai/Kia models, and we are stuck with these 4-cylinders.
I know many will doubt, but I also know that Hyundai is not stupid to keep this under the rug. In South Korea, many execs are caught by the authorities due to this faulty Theta-II engines.
And for these folks who tell me not to get a Hyundai, don't tell me to do so. Like I stated earlier, I owned a Hyundai and never had problems. I love Hyundai, and will buy them again... just not 4-cylinders if they're faulty (Most likely V6 that is sold in big SUVs and large sedans).

Last edited:

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
I don't think that after 2015 it's going to be an issue. Hyundai was aware of the issue (even if they did not pin point the problem) but it comes down to an oiling issue (or lack of). If you look at consumer reports, the first year of the Theta II had issues, and it only got better from then on out. after 2015, there are only a few complaints. (2011 had the worst, which was the redesign).

and it's not like they don't know how to make a reliable motor. I have owned a few alphas (1.5/1.6)and never had an engine related problem with them.

Reactions: krelidas_34
These kind of issues tend to come out on the first generation and then get fixed in later generations. Considering that the problem started 8 years ago there's little to no chance of these issues being in current production models. The next generation might have new issues though since it seems like a more major redesign.

Reactions: krelidas_34