[SOLVED] Will I be able to display 144 Hz via a HDMI-DisplayPort cable?

Dec 27, 2019
My laptop supports 144 Hz on it's own display, and my external monitor does too, via DisplayPort. The problem is that i only have a HDMI port in my laptop, and my monitor (ASUS MG248QR) only supports 75 Hz via HDMI. Would i be able to display 144 Hz if i use a HDMI-DisplayPort cable, to hook up my monitor?

Dec 27, 2019

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Solution
Dec 27, 2019
That cable is essentially an HDMI cable, with a display port connector on one end. If your monitor is limited to 75hz with HDMI, then you will be limited to 75hz using that cable.
I wouldn't even mess with a cable like that. You could get other visual anomalies and certainly not 144Hz. It might perform a little worse that just the HDMI cable by itself.

So is there any way I would be able to run 144 Hz or would I have to get a new PC? :)

These are the ports on my laptop:
USB-C 3.1 Gen 1
USB 3.1 Gen 1 (power from charger)
USB 3.1 Gen 1
USB 2.0
HDMI

And these are the ports in my external monitor:
DisplayPort
HDMI
DVI-D (dobbelt link)
Audio line-in

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
It may not work...just saying...
With HDMI, you're going to get somewhere between 60 Hz and 76 Hz. Most likely 75 Hz, at best. Enjoy your built-in screen's 144 Hz, as well as your portability...

Don't buy that HDMI-Displayport sheisen...

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Get an HDMI cable, preferably 1.4b, and try it.
You might get 120 Hz, which is pretty decent, or maybe even 144 Hz.

My Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
Wikipedia says:
HDMI 1.3-1.4b are capable of 8.16 Gbit/s, which support up to 144 Hz.

Asus's website says:
Signal Frequency:
Digital Signal Frequency : DisplayPort:160 ~160 KHz (H) /40 ~144 Hz(V)
HDMI : 30 ~83 KHz (H) /50 ~76 Hz(V)
DVI: 30 ~160 KHz (H) /50 ~144 Hz(V)

Asus's Manual (Page 3-9) says:
3.4 Supported operating mode
1920x1080* (DVI/DP/HDMI) 120Hz 137.2KHz
Note: You must select one of the “*” timings for enabling ELMB or 144Hz feature with a compatible GPU graphic card.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadsJensen

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Would it have to be a HDMI 1.4b, or is it just 1.4b and above? Not sure if I can find anything but HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 in my local store.

HDMI is always backwards compatible, and often forwards. you'd have to find a very old cable that didn't support HDMI 2.0. But new cables work fine with lower standards, not that it matters because:

The MG248QR should support up to 120 Hz over HDMI.

It specifically says it does not in the specs:

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG248QR/specifications/

@MadsJensen It doesn't matter what cable you get, you're not getting 144hz out of that HDMI on that Monitor. You need a monitor that supports 120 or 144hz over HDMI.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Asus's website specs are in fact different from the supported refresh rates mentioned in their own manual.
All I'm saying is try it...

I see that in the manual however it also mentions specific GPUs support that in ELMB mode which is an Asus GPU specific mode. I would say the chances of an Acer Laptop supporting it are slim. If he has already connected it via an HDMI cable and only ran at 75hz, unless the cable was ancient, its 75hz.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
I see that in the manual however it also mentions specific GPUs support that in ELMB mode which is an Asus GPU specific mode. I would say the chances of an Acer Laptop supporting it are slim. If he has already connected it via an HDMI cable and only ran at 75hz, unless the cable was ancient, its 75hz.

He hasn't tried it yet...he mentioned he didn't have an HDMI cable on hand...
Regardless of ELMB mode, he might get high-"er" refresh rates...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
He hasn't tried it yet...he mentioned he didn't have an HDMI cable on hand...
Regardless of ELMB mode, he might get high-"er" refresh rates...

No, he won't get high-"er" refresh rates. Look through the manual, every single resolution under HDMI is 75hz or less. And an Acer Laptop GPU isn't going to support a specific ASUS tech. Just because the HDMI spec supports it, doesn't mean the device does. I've connected thousands of pieces of equipment, and never ran into something magically over supporting what the specs say.

It specifically says it does not in the specs:

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG248QR/specifications/
It also specifically says it does in the manual on page 28.

The MG248QR is a revision to the MG248Q which was limited to 60 Hz over HDMI. 120 Hz over HDMI support basically is the difference between the two, that and 3DVision support was dropped.
It is just saying that ELMB (backlight strobing) is only available when using the marked formats, which is common. NVIDIA ULMB on my 1440p 144 Hz monitor for example is only available at 1440p 85/100/120 Hz.

No, he won't get high-"er" refresh rates. Look through the manual, every single resolution under HDMI is 75hz or less. And an Acer Laptop GPU isn't going to support a specific ASUS tech. Just because the HDMI spec supports it, doesn't mean the device does. I've connected thousands of pieces of equipment, and never ran into something magically over supporting what the specs say.
I have. My AOC G2460PF specifically states only 1080p 60 Hz over HDMI, but supports up to 120 Hz just fine.

Errors in documentation happen, no magic required :p

Obviously, we have contradicting information from the manufacturer in this case, so we'rd have to have the OP test it to know for sure, or look around for testimonial online. But I will comment that the manual is probably a more reliable source than the product page, and also 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI support would not be unusual at all for a monitor released around the time of the MG248QR.

Get an HDMI cable, preferably 1.4b, and try it.
You might get 120 Hz, which is pretty decent, or maybe even 144 Hz.
Just as a note, HDMI cables aren't classified by specific version numbers. To run 1080p 120 Hz he needs a High Speed HDMI cable, which is a cable certified for at least 10.2 Gbit/s. That's the maximum speed allowed by HDMI version 1.3, 1.3a, 1.4, 1.4a, and 1.4b. There aren't specific cables for each "version".

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Obviously, we have contradicting information from the manufacturer in this case, so we'rd have to have the OP test it to know for sure, or look around for testimonial online. But I will comment that the manual is probably a more reliable source than the product page, and also 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI support would not be unusual at all for a monitor released around the time of the MG248QR.

Agreed, what I'm trying to avoid here is false hope. There is a pretty good chance the monitor only supports 75 hz, the good news is looking up his laptop it should support up to 144hz out of the HDMI port on it should he get a monitor that supports it.

Of course its surely worth trying since he already owns the hardware, but he doesn't need any special HDMI cable, anything you get these days even the cheapest monoprice or amazon basics has the bandwidth for 1080p/120 and has for years and years.

Reactions: Glenwing