Will i be able to use Skylake i5 6600k or i7 6700k with my mobo?

Ventez

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Hi all at tom's i'm considering either getting the Skylake i5 6600k / i7 6700k .

I only understand the surface of mobo's as far as the difference between i5 and i7.

Know that i7 is better for video editing but have no idea to what end.

I am currently using a i7 4771, i do video edits every now and then on premiere pro and after effects.

My motherboard is http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z87%20Killer/ the Asrock z87 Fatality killer

16GB Ram
Win7 Ultimate 64Bit
Gigabyte GTX 970

Video exporting is almost 1:1 , maybe not 1 sec of clip to rl time 1 second but its about close like 10 min video takes somewhere around 9min30 secs or 9min. I mean, i may have missed out some settings.

My videos are recorded in 2560x1080, exported in 30 fps.

So my main question is, Should i be getting the i5 6600k or i7 6700k?
Is it compatible with my motherboard?
How different does i7 perform for video editing / video streaming as compared to the i5 and is it worth the money?

Solution
Keep that CPU.

It Turbos to 3.9GHz, and you get hyperthreading so it's already a pretty powerful processor.

In fact the i5-6500K could be a step down at times even if you could use it.

Other:
i7 vs i5 for editing?
Theoretically if same architecture and same frequency you can gain over 30% performance. Realistically even with really well threaded usage like Handbrake it ends up closer to a 15% time savings (since it doesn't use all eight threads the entire time).

Summary:
I could probably explain things more clearly but basically you've got a pretty nice CPU. I'd just keep it.
Keep that CPU.

It Turbos to 3.9GHz, and you get hyperthreading so it's already a pretty powerful processor.

In fact the i5-6500K could be a step down at times even if you could use it.

Other:
i7 vs i5 for editing?
Theoretically if same architecture and same frequency you can gain over 30% performance. Realistically even with really well threaded usage like Handbrake it ends up closer to a 15% time savings (since it doesn't use all eight threads the entire time).

Summary:
I could probably explain things more clearly but basically you've got a pretty nice CPU. I'd just keep it.

Solution
If you need more processing power for videos, then you should consider getting an i7-4790k and overclocking it. You will need to update the motherboard BIOS to take Haswell refresh CPUs, though.

If you're open to upgrading the motherboard as well, then get the i7-5820k and an X99 motherboard. You'll also need to replace the RAM with DDR4 RAM.

Other:
PASSMARK gives a reasonably accurate number to represent theoretical max single thread and total performance. Real world depends on much the program uses those threads.

Example:
i7-4771: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4771+%40+3.50GHz
2224 (single)
9996 (total)

i5-6600K (stock): https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6600K+%40+3.50GHz&id=2570

Similar single thread (wonder why its lower... newer architecture at same frequency... possibly not accurate)

*Note the total is lower because it has no hyperthreading thus the cores sit idle at times even with a well threaded program.

Overclocking the i7-4790K to 4.6GHz means it's only running about 18% faster than his current CPU.

The i7-5820K would probably gain him closer to 50% time savings for really well threaded apps. It's roughly 30% better at stock settings than his current CPU (more threads but lower frequency). Overclocking results are hard to predict so I'll just assume at least 4.2GHz which means roughly 1.5X more processing power.

(Seems a very EXPENSIVE upgrade unless he's doing a lot of editing... plus a lot of video converting can be simply done over night or whatever)