Will I be bottlenecked?

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I got a r9 270 for a pretty good price, 150$ today. My PC has

5GB DDR2 800MHZ (yeah I know, a low amount, my CPU cooler is very large so it makes a takes over 1 ram module slot.
550 Power Up! PSU
AMD Athlon 2 X4 635

I know my CPU is pretty old. I got it 5 or so years ago, it was basically as good as a Phenom 2 X4 at like 3.0 GHZ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quAZTiCU8Rw

I say it performs pretty decent.
The 270 is my last attempt to make this PC better, in a few months I plan to build a 1.2K PC, I just want to hold me off.

Right now I have a 250, I got it for a great price of 67$ which I think is great, it has performed well enough. If I am bottle necked, I am going to buy 400$ upgrade of basically everything.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
A bottleneck on the 270 coming from your Athlon?

Nah, I doubt it. If there is, it won't be noticeable. R9 270s are the bottom of the barrel for the R9 2xx cards and aren't horribly fast.

You'll be fine.

Honestly to me it seem more a complete waist of $250 for no real gain. You running all low end very old archaic hardware you know needs to be replaced. If you want to get 'improved gaming' from that $250, go buy a used /refub PS4! You will get alot more performance (GTA V for example plays 1080P High 30FPS, that PC wouldn't even be able to run the game), you get a FREE bluray player out of it, free headset, free Wireless controller, and better performance for the SAME $250.

To me seems a no brainer if your not going to spend the big ($700) money for a decent PC Gaming rig.

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I have a PS4, the card was 150$. Also dude, you have the same last name as me o.o. SO weird. I meant I have a r7 250 right now.

I just want a better card, my PC is doing pretty well still.

You can check www.PCPartPicker.com for pricing to help you make a better decision, but the biggest issue is if you exceed a $125 Nvidia GTX 750TI hardware (entry level gaming card low performance, but might NOT be much difference then your 250, you have to look up both and compare) you will be at the class level that the GPUs demand a higher end PSU, especially if that is NOT a Bronze or better rated PSU AND was cheap, there is a big problem in the industry of those cheap not rated ones are not producing the 'expected' power levels. Some cards in the price and just above your price range (like the GTX 960) demand more then a 550W PSU btw. So there is THAT added cost. Is why I suggest, as you HAVE a PS4 just shelve your money and you will be alot closer to replacing the system then 'later'. As I said $700+ based on a i5 / Nvidia 960 is doable, some great deals on 970s I also heard as well.