[SOLVED] Will I get better results after OC-ing GPU despite CPU bottleneck?

Jurassic Park

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Hello everybody,

I recently bought GTX 1080 and I have couple of questions.
I have old CPU (i5 4670K@4,5Ghz) and I possibly have bottleneck in games.
I also bought 27'' 4K 60Hz monitor.
My question is:will I get better FPS results if I overclock my GPU despite my CPU bottleneck?
I always play games on 60 FPS,graphic settings are important as well as resolution,but FPS is most important.
I would like to play games on 1440p and 60FPS and if possible with high settings.
Will I gain any results with OC?

Kind regards

Solution
If you can OC your card, then, yes, you will do better.
What is not certain how much, if any you can oc.
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
You can try.
As to what is safe, I can't tell you.
My guess is that your gain will not be significant.

Your cpu is a very good one, and is not likely to be your limiting factor.
To get an idea if your cpu is the limiter, reduce your resolution or graphics options and run some games.
If your fps increases, your cpu can drive a stronger graphics card or benefit from overclocking.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If you are cpu bottlnecked additional GPU oc will help nothing. You'll have to confirm which is holding you up at your desired settings to decide if you're cpu is bottlnecking. It'll change depending on title and setting and resolution

Jurassic Park

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for reply guys.
@Supahos,For example,I play Resident Evil 7 on 1440p max settings and constant 60FPS.When I set resolution to 4k and turn down settings like shadow,AA,details...I still get 35 avg FPS with that settings,but colors seems washed out a lot.Same goes with Resident Evil 2 Remake demo.

@ubercake,I tried to OC my GPU and what surprised me a lot was fact that I got worse performance (FPS number) after OC then at Stock-do you know why?
I used MSI Afterburner and Valley Benchmark for OC and testing.
I know it's a ''silicone lottery'' with GPU's but from your experience,what should be safe core and memory clock?
And lastly,approximately how much FPS could I get with good OC in games like Resident Evil?

If you can OC your card, then, yes, you will do better.
What is not certain how much, if any you can oc.
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
You can try.
As to what is safe, I can't tell you.
My guess is that your gain will not be significant.

Your cpu is a very good one, and is not likely to be your limiting factor.
To get an idea if your cpu is the limiter, reduce your resolution or graphics options and run some games.
If your fps increases, your cpu can drive a stronger graphics card or benefit from overclocking.

Solution

Jurassic Park

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Thanks for answer.
I will try and run games on 1080p resolution and check FPS.
Do you perhaps know why I'm getting worse benchmark results instead of better when I OC my GPU?