Question Will I get full 1200 Mbps Wi-Fi connection?

Aug 5, 2022
Hi!
I have MSI Z690 A PRO motherboard with 2.5 Gbps LAN port, which is connected via CAT-5e cable to ASUS AX58U router, which supports wifi-6 and has 4 1-Gigabit ports.
I use that to wirelessly play VR games on my Quest 2 headset which supports up to 1200 Mbps wi-fi speed.
The router is in the same room and roughly 2-3 meters from my playing zone.
My question is, assuming all hardware is working properly, since 1200 Mbps is technically more that 1 Gigabit, does this setup give me full 1200 Mbps bandwidth or am I bottlenecked by cat-5e or 1-Gigabit LAN ports on my router? If the answer is "Potentially yes", how do I test it?

Last edited:
Not even close. Wifi like to tell many lies the biggest is they add transmit and receive speed. This would be like calling a ethernet cable 2gbit. Wifi is half duplex so only 1 device can transmit at a time so you can not have both at the same time. Ethernet actually can has 2gbit of bandwidth at one instance even though nobody every calls it that.

Next to get the 1200 number wifi6 uses a very dense data encoding called Qam1024. This work only for fairly short distances. It most times only works in the same room.

Maybe if you are lucky you get 600mbps. I don't know how much data a quest2 can even use. Most times you only need high data rates for downloading big games.

Probably no, 1200 is more a theoretical value of speed the hardware could transfer. The Lan ports are wired and usually faster and more stable than wifi, even 1200 ones.
You can see the actual speed in windows itself, within the properties of the wifi connection or windows task manager performance tab

USAFRet

Titan
And even if the WiFi performance were "1200mbps" (it isn't, probably not even half that)...there is zero user perceptible difference between 1200mbps and 1000mbps(gigabit).

This is like comparing 2 cars.
One with a top speed of 140mph, and the other with a top speed of 155mph.
At the track, on a perfect day, in perfect conditions....maybe.

Aug 5, 2022
And even if the WiFi performance were "1200mbps" (it isn't, probably not even half that)...there is zero user perceptible difference between 1200mbps and 1000mbps(gigabit).

This is like comparing 2 cars.
One with a top speed of 140mph, and the other with a top speed of 155mph.
At the track, on a perfect day, in perfect conditions....maybe.

Well, I am trying to make conditions as perfect as possible) I have seen lower latency and significant increase in stability upgrading from good wi-fi 5 router (which is rated 866 mbps) to good wi-fi 6 router, and if this increase was so noticeable even with additional 134 mbps, getting these extra 200 mbps would be really nice)

USAFRet

Titan
Well, I am trying to make conditions as perfect as possible) I have seen lower latency and significant increase in stability upgrading from good wi-fi 5 router (which is rated 866 mbps) to good wi-fi 6 router, and if this increase was so noticeable even with additional 134 mbps, getting these extra 200 mbps would be really nice)
Wired via good quality Cat5e completely trumps any WiFi.

I doubt he can use a ethernet cable with a VR headset but I suspect this is mostly the standard people think bigger numbers are better and convince themselves that the money they spent got them something with no science to back it. I don't know how much bandwidth a VR headset uses but they would not sell many of everyone had to have a top end router that costs as much as the headset to use it.

Aug 5, 2022
I doubt he can use a ethernet cable with a VR headset but I suspect this is mostly the standard people think bigger numbers are better and convince themselves that the money they spent got them something with no science to back it. I don't know how much bandwidth a VR headset uses but they would not sell many of everyone had to have a top end router that costs as much as the headset to use it.
If you read my question carefully, you'd see that ethernet cable mentioned is between a PC and a router, not headset. Router was a gift and it costs less than half of the headset.
You do not need a good router to use this headset, in fact, you don't need any network at all if you only play standalone single player games. Fast connection is only needed to play PCVR games on Quest and it can use up to 3 Gbps bandwidth via cable, so there is plenty of headroom for wi-fi improvement. Having a good router does improve stability and therefore allows to push bitrate higher (which reduces compression artifacts) before connection becomes unstable again. This was proven by multiple users, reviews and Oculus themselves, and it was noticeable even for me. Science(or math, I'd say) behind that is not hard and it corresponds with real-life results.
Please read questions carefully and make sure you know what you are talking about before replying.

I did read your question carefully and clearly told you that you are not going to get anywhere close to 1200. This is even if you buy the $700 routers that have numbers of claiming 16gbit the quest2 wifi is the bottleneck.

User reviews are OPINIONS not facts and you are talking about subjective things that have no way to quantify them.

You can check the facts I gave you very easily just learn how wifi data is encoded rather than reading garbage from users who have no clue. When you can come back and explain why many wifi6 devices only run 80mhz rather than 160mhz then maybe your opinion would slightly matter.

Aug 5, 2022
I did read your question carefully and clearly told you that you are not going to get anywhere close to 1200. This is even if you buy the $700 routers that have numbers of claiming 16gbit the quest2 wifi is the bottleneck.

User reviews are OPINIONS not facts and you are talking about subjective things that have no way to quantify them.

You can check the facts I gave you very easily just learn how wifi data is encoded rather than reading garbage from users who have no clue. When you can come back and explain why many wifi6 devices only run 80mhz rather than 160mhz then maybe your opinion would slightly matter.
Yet you failed to both provide any sort of explanation to your "answer" in each of your replies("quest wifi bad, go learn how works" is not a proper explanation) and to read my comments properly thrice. First of all I never said that I read user review only, I don't know if you assumed that just for the sake of your argument or because you have no idea that technical and professional reviews exist. Advantages of wifi 6 over wifi 5 have been confirmed by both Oculus and the developers of the apps for wireless VR themselves, so the only one clueless here is you. You can also enable performance overlay in the headset and look at networking performance here, I did so many times and it showed consistent improvement in network latency from around 20-25ms to 12ms with the wifi 6 router, so, unlike what you've suggested, I very much DO have a way to at least somehow quantify the results.
You should stop posting replies with such abrasive attitude if you want people to actually listen or respect your opinions. So far you sound like a jerk who acts demeaning to others and baselessly calls them clueless to boost his own ego, yet only ends up embarrassing himself.

It's my understanding from using the Quest 2, is that the wifi -->PC tether is more like a remote desktop setup. Where the PC does all the work and broadcasts the image to the quest2 over you home network, so it maxes out at about 200mbps from what the settings allow. In order to do this, you would have to send a compressed image so it'll likely have more artifacts and be lower quality. Having a good wifi setup is good with lower latency in this type of setup as it will introduce lag from how this works.

The only thing in WIFI 6 that would reduce latency is likely OFDMA, which can help packets stay out of qeue during times of higher congestion. That will reduce latency.

As far as the actual QUEST 2 wifi, you're limited by the 2x2 radio built in. Max theoretical connection speed is 600mbps *2 for 1200mbps. Notice I said CONNECTION speed. Wifi is HALF-DUPLEX, so your max actual theoretical download speed will be 600mbps. This is your limit, not the gigabit ethernet connection. Even then, that assumes a channel width of 160mhz which you aren't likely to have with 5ghz frequency due to congestion. Most likely only 80mhz channel width will be stable unless you live out in the middle of nowhere. So realistically speeds of about 400-500mbps are what you'll get in the real world. Going from gigabit to 2.5gbe won't make any difference in this situation. The only way to get more bandwidth is to increase the number of radios in the headset to 3x3 or 4x4, or use WIFI 6E with larger channel widths of 160mhz or wifi 7 with 320mhz channel width.

What does half duplex mean, from (LINK)?
"WiFi is a half duplex form of data transmission, which is to say, data packets are sent back and forth in sequence. It happens so quickly that it mimics seamless, two-way data transmission, but in fact, data cannot be both sent and received simultaneously. "

Ethernet is FULL DUPLEX so it can send and receive data at the same time. So you can't directly compare connection speeds of wifi and ethernet. Gigabit 1000mbps ethernet will beat 1200mbps wifi in any real world test due to it being full duplex vs half-duplex.

Last edited: