MB: Gigabyte ga-h97-d3h
16 gb ram
Psu 650 watt
Monitor 1080p 60mhz
Cpu: intel core i5-4670

Gpu: gigabyte gtx 1650 d6 oc 4gb

Thank you

Solution
Im asking about most games, is the fact that my cpu is old (4th gen) means that the gtx perfomance will usually be lower? And if so, how much more or less? Something I can ignore?
You've missed the point mentioned previously.

Your current CPU will continue to output whatever FPS it does today.
Adding in a better GPU allows you to turn up the graphic settings.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: xUser2021
Dec 14, 2021
Im asking about most games, is the fact that my cpu is old (4th gen) means that the gtx perfomance will usually be lower? And if so, how much more or less? Something I can ignore?

jasonf2

Distinguished
Yes, your cpu is probably going to be the limiting factor, ie bottleneck for framerate. But you need to understand that even without changing out hardware if you take the game settings to the lowest level possible and look at FPS that is the best case on the CPU for that game. So updating the GPU won't increase that number, but allow you to up the fidelity settings and get closer to that theoretical max that the cpu can put out. This is on a per game basis.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
Dec 14, 2021

Let me explain. Right now I mainly need a new GPU because my current one is horrible (1GB VRAM is horrible for nowadays games) since many games require 2GB just for the minimum requirements. I had 2 options: Either buy a real good GPU but then also get a new CPU (or else there's no point) and for that a new MB and a new RAM etc.... or just get GTX 1650 which is good enough for me.
I saw in some place that this GTX may bottleneck old CPU. The question is how much. Based on pc-builds calculator it's around 10% which is fine by me, but someone told me this calculator is not accurate. Knowing how much it will bottleneck (or in other words - will not be effective to my PC) is super important because if let's say it's 50%, then what's the point? I'd better get a new PC and I don't want to unless I really have to. And I know it depends on the game but I'm talking about most modern games, not old ones.
Where I'm from even GTX 1650 is expensive ($420) so I have to know I'm making the right decision

Last edited:
Let me explain. Right now I mainly need a new GPU because my new one is horrible (1GB VRAM is horrible for nowadays games) since many games require 2GB just for the minimum requirements. I had 2 options: Either buy a real good GPU but then also get a new CPU (or else there's no point) and for that a new MB and a new RAM etc.... or just get GTX 1650 which is good enough for me.
I saw in some place that this GTX may bottleneck old CPU. The question is how much. Based on pc-builds calculator it's around 10% which is fine by me, but someone told me this calculator is not accurate. Knowing how much it will bottleneck (or in other words - will not be effective to my PC) is super important because if let's say it's 50%, then what's the point? I'd better get a new PC and I don't want to unless I really have to.
Where I'm from even GTX 1650 is expensive ($420) so I have to know I'm making the right decision
Bottleneck calculators are utter crap.

You can't say that your system will be bottlenecked by 10% in everything because not every game uses the same resources or has the same requirements.

For example if you play CS:GO that is very heavily CPU bound, the older CPU will hold back the performance by a huge margin when compared to new gen CPUs. When you play Tomb Raider, the GPU becomes also very important so better GPU will help more.

In the end it matters what games you play, at what resolution and what settings because each and every game handles the resources differently. So the "bottleneck' (which I hate that term) can be calculated for a SPECIFIC game, with SPECIFIC resolution and SPECIFIC settings on your SPECIFIC hardware.

Also, you said:

or just get GTX 1650 which is good enough for me.
That should have been the answer here.

Dec 14, 2021
Bottleneck calculators are utter crap.

You can't say that your system will be bottlenecked by 10% in everything because not every game uses the same resources or has the same requirements.

For example if you play CS:GO that is very heavily CPU bound, the older CPU will hold back the performance by a huge margin when compared to new gen CPUs. When you play Tomb Raider, the GPU becomes also very important so better GPU will help more.

In the end it matters what games you play, at what resolution and what settings because each and every game handles the resources differently. So the "bottleneck' (which I hate that term) can be calculated for a SPECIFIC game, with SPECIFIC resolution and SPECIFIC settings on your SPECIFIC hardware.

Also, you said:

That should have been the answer here.

Well I guess it's good enough for me, I won't know for sure until I try it. Based on what I saw on youtube it will definitely run most games just fine, the problem will be with the modern demanding games but I guess worst case scenario they will run somehow with lower settings.