Will I have Double Dual Channel?

Jurassic Park

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm buying 2x4GB RAM that is same brand and model.
I already have 2 sticks and they work in dual channel despite that they are different brand and model,but same frequency and latency.
My question is:will I be able to have double dual channel if i buy 2 sticks (2x4) of same brand?

My motherboard is MSI Z97 PC Mate

Every suggestion is more then welcome!

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
There's no guarantee unless you buy a matching set of 4, and then you may as well sell what you have and buy a bigger set of 2. So basically, it may possibly work, but we can't say it will.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only a few actual OEMs for ram, and they sell to every brand, so there's multiple brands that are actually exactly the same. This makes brands a moot point when adding ram. Ram IC's are made from silicon, each batch being cut from a single sheet. Due to different impurities and composition of the silicon, each sheet is different. So you can get 2 kits, from 2 different batches, that are identical in every other way (speed, color, brand, size etc) and they can be totally non-compliant with each other.

There's only One Guarantee when mixing ram from any other kit, there are No guarantees. Period. They may work as is, they might need slight adjustments to speeds or timings or voltages or they may not play nice at all. There's simply no way to tell until tried. This is why it's recommended to buy 1 kit for all, it's sticks are factory tested to be compatible.

That said, you only have 2 channels on that mobo, so if set up correctly, you'll have 2x pairs of ram both in dual channel.

Jurassic Park

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Thanks everyone for answers.

One more question:how will I know that they work in dual channel,once i install them in slots?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu-z. If you need software verification. If you only want visual verification then stick each pair in its own color. Most normally, that's #1-#3 and #2-#4 (count from cpu). So your ram would be old-new-old-new or new-old-new-old, depending on prior setup.