Will i keep my apps installed when i upgrade to windows 10??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobskibruno

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Hi im currently running windows 7 and have reserved an upgrade for windows 10. I was just wondering how the upgrade works. do i keep all my data. and most importantly is all my steam games kept installed (do i have to reinstall). i never upgraded to windows 8.1 so i do not know. thankyou ahead of time :).

Solution
In theory you should keep them. I advise you to do a backup of your documents on an external storage device just to be sure. Regarding the applications, while they say they'll still be installed, some of them might not be compatible with Windows 10 so problems may occur.

In short, you will most likely keep them, but be ready just in case.

andreii707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
In theory you should keep them. I advise you to do a backup of your documents on an external storage device just to be sure. Regarding the applications, while they say they'll still be installed, some of them might not be compatible with Windows 10 so problems may occur.

In short, you will most likely keep them, but be ready just in case.

Solution

Bobskibruno

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

So what your saying is back up important documents but do u reccomend backing up C: and D:? total just under 1.3TB. OR do you think it is just wiser to back up important documents and then uninstall everything else to have a clean install and then jsut reinstall?

andreii707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
A clean install is always the better option. As far as the backup go if you can't back them up on something external, put them in D, considering that you install the Windows in C.

Simply upgrading may look better, but it's definitely not the best option.

Bobskibruno

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

How do i get a clean install? if i do this will i be able to grab my games from steam from my external hard drive and put the back into D:?

andreii707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I am not very sure about how the Windows 10 setup behaves, but i think that when you are asked whether to upgrade or do a custom install, you choose the custom install. If your steam games are installed on the same drive where you will install the Windows, they will be deleted. I would recommend simply reinstalling them afterwards, it may be tedious but it's safer.

Bobskibruno

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

I might just uninstall everything i have on. then write all those programs on a .txt and install them after. Thanks alot bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.