[SOLVED] Will I need DLSS with a 1440P monitor?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Since I built my new rig I haven't played any newer games with ray tracing and DLSS. I am looking at buying either Control or Cyberpunk 2077. Probably Control first unless Cyberpunk goes on sale. I was just reading up on DLSS and it seems like it would be ideal to run ray tracing with DLSS turned off as long as my rig can provide decent FPS. I am running a 27", 1440P, 1ms, 165Hz, Gsync monitor. Looking for feedback from anyone with a similar build to see if my rig can run ray tracing without DLSS. Hoping for FPS at 60 or higher.

5900X CPU
MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio GPU
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero motherboard
G. Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL 16 RAM
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB x 2 M.2 SSD
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 W PSU
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO
Corsair 780T case

Solution
can't just try it yourselves?

Agree with this

I have 3700X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 and game predominantly at 1440p 144Hz. I mainly play fast paced games such a FPS and racing but I do play others. To date I find Ray Tracing way overrated and doesn’t justify the performance hit. In all my games that support RT I leave it switched off but I do leave DLSS on.

Linus Tech Tips or one of Linus’ channels did a test where he got his team to try and tell if a game had RT switched on or off. The vast majority could not tell.
can't just try it yourselves?

Agree with this

I have 3700X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 and game predominantly at 1440p 144Hz. I mainly play fast paced games such a FPS and racing but I do play others. To date I find Ray Tracing way overrated and doesn’t justify the performance hit. In all my games that support RT I leave it switched off but I do leave DLSS on.

Linus Tech Tips or one of Linus’ channels did a test where he got his team to try and tell if a game had RT switched on or off. The vast majority could not tell.

Solution

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You can but it gives maximum impact on your FPS. I will try and find a review that showed the latest DLSS could result in a sharper image than no DLSS.
That would be a good read. My concern was that image quality might suffer with DLSS on compared to the original. It seems that if the image has to render at a lower resolution and then upscale you might lose some of the original quality. But then again I know little to nothing about DLSS except for what I have been reading today. If having DLSS results in a better image that would be a no brainer to use it. As far as ray tracing I figure I will try it and see how it looks since my 3080 supports it. Probably the best bet is to use the DLSS setting that retains the most quality, not the most FPS.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That would be a good read. My concern was that image quality might suffer with DLSS on compared to the original. It seems that if the image has to render at a lower resolution and then upscale you might lose some of the original quality. But then again I know little to nothing about DLSS except for what I have been reading today. If having DLSS results in a better image that would be a no brainer to use it. As far as ray tracing I figure I will try it and see how it looks since my 3080 supports it. Probably the best bet is to use the DLSS setting that retains the most quality, not the most FPS.

DLSS works quite well. These days, it's not just slapping in some pixels to make things chunky like older means of upscaling; we've reached the point where we have enough computer power to do a lot of crazy things with machine learning. And using it with games is much easier than the various deepfake stuff since the programmers get to design the stuff that's going to be upscaled, something you won't have in a film from the 19th century.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqbOhqXHL7E

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk

Reactions: emitfudd
Found it, was actually a video o_O my memory is bad. Anyway skip to 11:30 Wolfenstein Youngblood - Ray Tracing/VRS/DLSS in id Tech 6 - A Next-Gen Features Showcase? - YouTube

Reactions: emitfudd

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I ended up buying Cyberpunk 2077 since it went on sale Thanksgiving day. I have all the settings on ultra, ray tracing on ultra and DLSS on quality and I am getting FPS in the 70's. Lowest I have seen is 60 and highest is 80's.

Reactions: sizzling
It depends on the implementation and the game, but there are times when DLSS produces a cleaner look than the native resolution image it's outputting to.

However, DLSS 2.x is a temporal solution, so it does produce artifacts in certain cases. For example, I've noticed in Back 4 Blood, there's a ghosting effect on overhead wires. You kind of have to look for it though to see it.