[SOLVED] Will I need to update my ASUS ROG Strix B450 to work with a ryzen 5 3600

Oct 18, 2020
Im upgrading from an old fx-8350 build to an am4 build, and simply want to know if I am going to need to update the bios to support this cpu, as pcpartpicker says this may be the case. Any answer is appreciated :)

Solution
it may.

There is no way to know for sure. When it came out, the board didn't support the 3600. Later it got an update to support the 3600.

If you buy a new board, it probably will be manufactured recently and will have the update to support the 3600. If the board has been sitting on the shelf for literally over a year (unlikely) it might not.
it may.

There is no way to know for sure. When it came out, the board didn't support the 3600. Later it got an update to support the 3600.

If you buy a new board, it probably will be manufactured recently and will have the update to support the 3600. If the board has been sitting on the shelf for literally over a year (unlikely) it might not.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
Oct 18, 2020
it may.

got it, that makes much more sense, thank you!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Ask the supplier if has the Ryzen Desktop 3000 Ready sticker on the box.
If it does then it has a BIOS that has been updated to support Ryzen 3000 series CPUs (3600, 3600x, 3700x, etc).
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-does-motherboard-support

I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F that I bought in November 2018 and it needed a BIOS update to run my 3700x.
But there have been quite a few users here that have confirmed that no BIOS update was needed on that MB that was purchased after about August 2019 and had the Ryzen Desktop 3000 Ready sticker on the box.

PS
I currently run an OC'd 2600 on that MB, But I did test my 3700x on it for a bout a month and it ran that CPU almost as well as my current Asus ROG Strix X470-F does.
I would Not recommend that you run a 105W CPU (3800x or 3900x) on that board unless you have a good aftermarket cooler and a case with good airflow.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Well actually the stock coolers would be the best. They are downdraft and blow air right on the vrm
In theory you are correct., the down draft from the stock cooler helps cool the VRM.
But having run a 2600 OC'd to 4 Ghz and a 3700x (with PBO enabled) on that MB, I can tell you that a decent aftermarket cooler (in my case an Arctic 33 eSports Edition) with good case airflow was Much better than the stock cooler in the same case.