Will I really notice a difference?

x_elusiv_x

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
So if I buy a 8600k or a 2700x (or whatever is equivalent to each other generally), will I really notice a difference in gaming performance?

I would plan to mildly overclock both but sometimes I scratch my head at the charts and graphs and really wonder how relevant they are. Sometimes what looks like a difference on paper does not equate to something noticeable.

For example, on paper it might show a 100% or 50% gain in boot time. But if I am going from 30 seconds to 45 seconds...quite frankly, I could care less.

Under ideal conditions, you probably won't be seeing the difference between the two CPUs.

If you pair either CPU with a high end GPU, play at 1440p or above, on a screen that supports the adaptive sync technology of the GPU you chose, and aren't trying to do any sort of twitch gaming, you will be hard pressed to pick the difference much of the time as far as a smooth gaming experience goes.

On the other hand, situations that need more raw CPU horsepower will be faster on the 2700x due to the 10 thread difference between the two CPUs. No amount of better IPC can overcome that, except in situations where even the 8600k may be questionable as overkill. Also, it may sound counter intuitive, but there is likely going to be very little effective overclocking you'll be able to do with a 2700x unless you like gobs of extra heat and power usage for little appreciable gain. The boost algorithm in the Ryzen+ chips is engineered well enough to make getting the last ounce of performance from your CPU a matter of throwing money at your cooler, providing enough power delivery, and that's about it. The difference in response may look great on paper, but most of the time spent doing day to day tasks, the CPU isn't the big bottleneck.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Too many variables to say definitively.

If you game with a higher end GPU, at higher resolutions, you're unlikely to notice any real difference between either.

At 1080p or lower, there's likely to be a noticeable difference between the two, depending on the workload.

Ultimately, it depends on the workloads. If you game + stream, or the system is for production/rendering etc, that *also* games, then the tradeoff in 1080p gaming performance likely be worth it.

Then, of course you have the 'value' argument.