Will I run into any problems

Solution
Silverprodigy,

I hope you did not listen to the horrible advice that has been so far given here.

Yes the GTX 1060 will run with your G3258. Its not the ideal processor for it at all, and it will be a bottleneck on the card, but it will work. In fact most games rely on single core speed so if you overclock that cpu you should have no problem running most recent games on it. You may see play-ability issues, because of that bottleneck in some more demanding games, at that point I would consider an upgrade to an i5-4690 in your case, because of the faster base cores.

andy1234569

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

hate to tell you but dont even hope to put in a gt series gpu with that Pentium, you need at least a good i3 or a decent i5 to run the 970 and 1060

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Silverprodigy,

I hope you did not listen to the horrible advice that has been so far given here.

Yes the GTX 1060 will run with your G3258. Its not the ideal processor for it at all, and it will be a bottleneck on the card, but it will work. In fact most games rely on single core speed so if you overclock that cpu you should have no problem running most recent games on it. You may see play-ability issues, because of that bottleneck in some more demanding games, at that point I would consider an upgrade to an i5-4690 in your case, because of the faster base cores.

Solution

jackprogamer

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016

no the G3258 can't run cuz if there is a game that require a decent cpu he have to upgrade it like assassin's creed syndicate his gtx can run it on high medium maybe ultra settings cuz gtx 1070 will be great for that so if he want to run it on high the gtx will accept that but the processor will not

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

jackprogamer, you should check your private messages and move along from this thread and rethink your responses here.

The G3258 can run that card fine, and a processor deficiency has no relation to the graphic detail level you would set in the game. The G3258 has the same cores in it as a 4590 or even a 4770, however there are only 2 of them and no hyperthreading. Overclocked on many games it can perform to their levels. It is a common buget gaming processor thats only recently been eclipsed.

Its not the best scenario but for games that are a couple years old its a perfectly viable setup, even AC Syndicate which requires an i5-2400 which has slower cores than the G3258.

andy1234569

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

yes, i agree with you, he CAN run games with the Pentium and yes, if overclocked it could help a bit, but the Pentium isnt unlocked and the bottleneck would be severe, if u wana see a i3 6100 vs just a 6600 there is around a 15-20 frame bottleneck on games like gta and a 10 frame difference in assassins creed and in more gpu intensive games the cpu bearly made a difference, but keep in mind the 6100 is better than the g3258 and has 2 hyper threaded cores basically making it 4
while the g3258 has 2 without hyperthreading and it falls behind massively because of lack of cores to a similarity clocked 4 core i5.

benchmarks i looked at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6LUufXCPDM

but all in all, the g3258 will fall behind massivly due to its lack of cores making the frames even drop over 80 fps in some cases making it a very very bad choice to pair with a 1060.

sidenote, i think we got the wrong meaning of running, of course i know that the g3258 should "run" the 1070 but my definition of running a gpu is more to the side of little to no bottle necking with a cpu

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I have highlighted your very common misconceptions. Extra cores do not make any difference in gaming unless the game needs them of which very few do. The G3258 can be overclocked well over 4 ghz which makes up massively for any deficencies. Instead of using some junk youtube channel we should use some real sites with benchmarks:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6526/intel-pentium-g3258-haswell-20th-anniversary-cpu-gaming-performance/index.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/1017-best-budget-gaming-cpu/

As you can see with a GTX 960 the G3258 delivering 60 fps in games like Battlefield 4 and Battlefield hardline. In many other games more than playable fps is available. No not every game is going to run 60-100 fps, most wont. In fact many will be in the 30-50 range which is still very playable. Heck all the consoles run most games at 30 fps or so.

There will be some games that suffer performance bottlenecks that will affect playability (but overclocking can help that). Just because there is a frame drop between processors does not mean that "bottleneck" is unplayable. Heck visibly the player will barely even notice it. 10 fps is NOTHING and you talk about it like its the difference between playing and not. Yeah when you're down around 30 fps its a big difference, but not when you're at 60.

Your assertions are patently incorrect and we need to get away from telling people they need to dump more and more money into their systems every time a new game comes out. Not everyone needs max detail settings, and not everyone needs to run the game at 100fps.