beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
My Z97 Mobo and GTX 970 dies recently at the same time
Im currently not in a position to spend on both things new immediately
Im getting a decent deal on a used GTX 1080
Z97 motherboards are out of stock everywhere
However H81 motherboards are available on the cheap
I was thinking of continuing to use my i5 4690 (even though its a 4690k however since i will be using it with an H81 mobo so i wont be able to overclock)
I can get the GTX 1080 now and wait to upgrade my CPU till early next year( intel 10th gen desktop CPUs are expected till then)
Is this a good idea?
Will the 4690 bottleneck my 1080? If so how much?

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
The bigger issue is that the above cpu doesn't meet minimum system requirements for many new triple A titles so yes, if you play new demanding games and you want to play them on ultra, that processor will definitely limit the gtx 1080.
Well i would definitely want to plat games like RDR2 and Modern Warfare.
So upgrade to Ryzen 3600 or wait till Intel 10th Gen releasing early next year?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

sadly quad cores arent cutting it these days and you will get horrible experience i assume in RDR2 and MW when they come out.
but you already pointed out the answer to your question.
if you can wait for 10th gen intel which is fine i guess but i still doubt its gonna be a massive leap from Ryzen 3rd gen or 9th/8th gen for that matter.

but heres what you might want to think about, you can buy a Ryzen 3600(3600x or 3700x) and game now and enjoy a really good pc that would last for years and just upgrade the GTX 1080 later on.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.29 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GT 29.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $584.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

heres what it would cost assuming you live in the US and if you already got a good PSU you can ignore the listed PSU.

or you can wait as youve said for 10th gen intel, which might also be a good idea in a sense that at that moment Ryzen 3rd gen might get a good price cut as well so you got 2 options either go all out on intel 10th gen or (90% sure) Ryzen 3rd gen with the price cuts.

Actually, I think your system meets requirements for RDR2. You can try your preexisting system and see how it plays. Think about it this way. If you upgrade to a 3600 then your 1080 will be a bottleneck :)
There will ALWAYS be a bottleneck!!

To have no bottleneck at all you need everything to have no limit to its power. As you know everything has a limit even the GTX 1080. For gaming it's ideal for the graphics card to be the bottleneck. Why? Because then you get the most out of your card and you're not using up too much of your CPU. But usually it is the monitor refresh rate that is the main bottleneck. Even if your system meets the minimum requirements for the games you want to play there is no guarantee that it will play without stuttering every now and then and no guarantee that you will have a satisfactory experience. Game developers try to test the games on many different hardware configurations but just because it works doesn't mean you would want to play it on that hardware necessarily. It would ruin the experience if Everytime things got fun that it froze a little but those average fps charts might still show high numbers regardless. To play the latest games if they are demanding you must keep your system up to date. That means a new graphics card every 2 maybe 3 years depending on how good the one you're upgrading is. And a new CPU every 3 to 5 years and again the upgrade time depends on how good your current CPU is. If you had a 4790k then maybe 4 or 5 years would have been a good upgrade window but sense you have an i5 4690 that's a solid 3 years on the upgrade window. You should have upgraded in 2017 when the 6 core coffee lake was released. But by all means you can wait as long as you want to upgrade but if you deviate too far from the upgrade cycle I talked about here you won't be able to run the more demanding games and even certain software.