Will increasing my RAM will boost up the speed of my computer?

Oct 7, 2018
My current system configuration is: Intel Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4.00 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4400. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 and have many development software installed like Visual Studio, PHP Storm and graphics software like Photoshop. Many a times the system lag time is very high. Will adding an additional 2GB RAM will boost the speed of my computer. Please help.

zackywacky

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
Sounds like you're doing a lot of work with visual editors, with that being the case I'd recommend a better GPU. You might also want to consider upgrading your RAM because 4GB might not be enough while using software like photoshop.

Oct 7, 2018

Photoshop use is very rare as I mainly develop things than to design. My bigger concern is its speed when I use development software like MS Visual Studio Professional or similar ones. I tried using Android Studio once but it was like responding to my requests in minutes instead of in seconds. My this computer is some 3 years old and I do not want to invest much into it for now. I was just thinking of increasing the RAM to boost up the speed for a few months when I will be getting a complete new computer with high end config. Just need to determine if increasing just the RAM at this point will do any change to the speed. Thanks for the quick answer though!

zackywacky

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
It really depends on what version of the software you're using, some might benefit from extra RAM, some might not. I'd try looking up system requirements for whatever version of the software you're using and see whether you fall short on RAM, or would just need a better GPU, CPU, etc.