Will installing the AMD HDMI Audio Driver mess up my Realtek driver even if I'm not using HDMI?

BowserJr395

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello!

I'm installing my new AMD graphics drivers at the moment, I haven't done it before, so I have a question.

I used AMD's Auto Detect Utility program to detect which driver I needed to install, and I clicker 'Download'. It downloaded the driver for me and opened up the installer. I clicked 'next' until I got to the Catalyst Installer window. I clicked 'Express Settings', as I have already got Gaming Evolved installed, but I saw 'HDMI Audio Driver' on the list. I was just wondering whether it will mess up my Realtek audio driver, even though I am not using HDMI - I connect my monitor with DVI, and I use a 3.5 mm jack for my speakers.

Also, what is 'ACP Application'? That is also on the list for express settings.

Another thing, do I have to uninstall my old graphics drivers? If so, should I do it before or after I install the new ones?

Thanks!

Same thing happens when you install Nvidia drivers. Both companies provide audio on DP and HDMI ports since those standards support doing so. So no, it will not effect your Realtek audion.

What does happen, is say you have a headset on the front panel which is driven by the Realtek chip and this is set as the default audio device.. And you pull the headset plug out, the audio will instantly move to the other active audio device which is your display. It will go back to the default headset as soon as you plug the headset back in too.

ACP Application appears to be a driver they used back in the Opteron days. Probably still has some use with those and is included due to that.

BowserJr395

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks!

By the way, as I put in my post, do I need to uninstall my old drivers at all? And if so, should I do it before or after I install the new ones?

I do. I use DDU to make sure all traces of previous video drivers are gone. Sometimes they leave bits and pieces laying around that can come back to haunt you later on.

Click on the DDU icon below to get to that download page. When you run it, it will ask if it can go into Safe Mode to do its thing, select Yes. It will reboot and come back up in Safe Mode and present you with 3 "buttons" on the left side. Select the top one and it will do its thing. After it has completed its work, you can install the latest AMD drivers.

BowserJr395

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks for the reply!

I have never booted into safe mode before, so that will be something new. When you click clean and restart (I have seen a picture of the program), does it reboot into normal Windows instead of safe mode?

Also, when you uninstall the old ones, won't the screen be at a very low resolution?

BowserJr395

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

It's ok now, I installed the new drivers, but I didn't use DDU. It seems to be working perfectly fine, and if I have any bugs I'll just use DDU and reinstall the drivers. Thanks for your help anyway.

BowserJr395

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

But it was so much simpler just to install them without reinstalling the old ones. You only reboot once instead of twice. Plus, I had already asked around various other places, and they had all said to not worry, just install the new ones.