Question Will it bottleneck?

vtmB10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2017
Hi, my actual GPU is a RX 560 2GB and i want to replace it with a RX 590 8 GB, will the new GPU bottleneck my i5 4460 CPU? I want to upgrade the GPU so i can play WarZone but i don't know if i need to buy a new CPU aswell

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
Yes, the CPU will bottleneck. But depending on your resolution and in game settings it can be compensated and create a balance. The CPU is already alot older than the GPU so i would suggest trying to see if changing graphics changes the framrate.

If you set your resolution on the highest and AA on the highest and then on the lowest watch your FPS. I recommend MSI afterburner and putting on FPS counter cpu and gpu usage and 1% lows and 0.1% lows. If the fps between the FPS 1% lows and 0.1% lows change alot then buy a GPU does it barely change buy a CPU.

The reason i say this is because resolution and AA are processed by the GPU so if we stress the GPU alot when putting on high settings will the fps get lower? If your CPU cannot compensate and will be bottlenecked anyways at low the FPS will not change since the GPU still has some usage to use that will mean the graphics look better but the fps will not change.

vtmB10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2017
Yes, the CPU will bottleneck. But depending on your resolution and in game settings it can be compensated and create a balance. The CPU is already alot older than the GPU so i would suggest trying to see if changing graphics changes the framrate.

If you set your resolution on the highest and AA on the highest and then on the lowest watch your FPS. I recommend MSI afterburner and putting on FPS counter cpu and gpu usage and 1% lows and 0.1% lows. If the fps between the FPS 1% lows and 0.1% lows change alot then buy a GPU does it barely change buy a CPU.

The reason i say this is because resolution and AA are processed by the GPU so if we stress the GPU alot when putting on high settings will the fps get lower? If your CPU cannot compensate and will be bottlenecked anyways at low the FPS will not change since the GPU still has some usage to use that will mean the graphics look better but the fps will not change.
i d like to play pubg and any newer games on 1920:1080 resolution, the graphics settings don;t matter, i want the game to run smooth,

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

There is another potential issue.
RX590 is a power hungry card that may not run on your power supply.
Here is a chart of what you might need:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

And, if your psu is a cheap noname unit, it may not deliver advertised power.