Question Will MA610P block the 1st RAM slot of Z390-F?

Likendor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Hello!

I'm planning a new PC build now. I've chosen ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING motherboard and Cooler Master MasterAir MA610P. But now, I'm in doubt... What if I want to add some big RAM? For example 4 x G.SKILL F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR. It's quite tall. Will I be able to do that with MA610P cooler placed on Z390-F mb? Or MA610P will block the 1st RAM slot of Z390-F?

ASUS techsupport refused to asnwer this question and forwarded me to Cooler Master support. Cooler Master support also didn't tell me anything useful, but only suggested to get RAM not taller than 34,3 mm (just in case).

Please advice. Maybe someone here already had the same combination of the motherboard and the CPU cooler?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In looking at several ASUS Strix and Prime motherboards and that cooler. I would say the first slot looks clear.

This guy took decent pictures. Not quite your motherboard, but a very similar layout.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LVGG3C

You will want low profile ram if you want to use all the slots. But for only two slots occupied your memory choice would work. (Running really fast ram is typically easier with fewer sticks as well)

There are plenty more to look at. You can sort all completed builds by CPU type and CPU cooler. Partpicker has about a dozen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/#h=...81,859,854,1005,1006,1171,1130,1129,1180,1179

Likendor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Thank you for advices! The last link was very useful! I've looked at different builds, and it seems MA610P blocks the 1st RAM slot. :( Or people just usually prefers using 2 RAMs. I'm still able to use low-profile RAM, but I do not want to. It's the first time in my life I'm planning not only very powerful PC build, but also want it to be a nice looking one - with synced RGB. Planning and choosing becomes much more difficult because of that suddenly. I've investigated an RGB theme recently, and it seems getting everything synced (from different hardware manufactureres) can become a real pain in the ass. :( That's why I'm trying to stay inside the ASUS Aura comatibility list.

So, now I have these options:

- Get 2x16 Gb of RAM instead of 4x8. I've found G.SKILL F4-4000C19D-32GTZR, but it has 4000 Mhz instead of 4266 and CAS is 19 instead of 17. Not sure - how much performance will I loose?

- Keep faster G.SKILL F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR RAM, but look at liquid coolers to keep RAM slots clear. Corsair H115i Pro Platinum looks awesome, but I think I will get problems with syncing its RGB with other parts.

Damn... Why all this stuff is so complicated...

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I can't much speak to memory speeds quite that fast, usually in the realm of the very serious overclocker. No guarantee your CPU is even capable. (Stock speed is 2666) Most people get 3200Mhz these days.

In terms of gaming performance, memory speed usually only accounts for a few FPS on Intel. I've never found it worth the cost to get the extreme kits.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Lower is better, but in terms of how much it effects general performance, again not much in games. More bandwidth and better latency can help with resource intensive tasks like photo and video editing.

Essentially the only way to see the difference would be synthetic benchmarks or workstation tasks. In games that 1-2 FPS increase you probably won't be able to tell.

Reactions: Likendor

Likendor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well... It seems I've found a very similar build! https://pcpartpicker.com/b/nzkdnQ

4 G.SKILL RAMs + ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO + MA610P! MAXIMUS X HERO looks like it has the same size between CPU and RAM slots like Z390-F. So, it seems it's possible! :)

Thank you for an advice with PCPartPicker website!
Just want to post an update regarding the initial theme. So... CoolerMaster MasterAir MA610P does block the 1st RAM slot (if you don't use low-profile RAM)! The PC build by the link above was manually modified in order to be able to inser 4 high-profile RAMs.

Blocks.jpg

Latest posts