Will more RAM increase my performance in open world games(Mainly Fortnite)?

May 8, 2018
My Specs
Lenovo Legion Y720t
Ryzen 5 1400(No Overclock)
Radeon RX 570 4gb(No Overclock)
8GB DDR4 2400mhz(Single Channel)
1TB HDD
450W PSU

Okay, so I'm having some unstable fps dips in fortnite even on low settings, I know it prob has alot to do with the game's optimization, but I also wanted to upgrade my pc a bit for better gaming performance overall. My plan is to purchase a 240gb SSD, and install more RAM. My MOBO only has two slots so I was thinking of adding 8gb of RAM(or 4gb?)(assuming it will play nice with my already installed ram, if not I'm willing to purchase another 8gb to match it.). So TBH i have a few questions.

1. Will I have to upgrade to a 500W or 600W PSU with more RAM+SSD?

2. Is 8gb+4gb a possible option?

3. Will this increase my performance?

Solution
I would go 8+8 since you already have one. Single channel is terrible. The RAM actually stops working to refresh. With Dual channel they take turns refreshing.
2nd thing is in a few programs a 4 GB GPU can have a RAM bottleneck in an 8GB system. Background processes running can provoke this also. The GPU uses system RAM to cache textures. Another 8GB will solve both problems and allow dual channel for all of the RAM.

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
No new power supply require.
8+4 is an option.
RAM quantity does and does not affect performance.
If your system runs out of ram, it will use virtual ram which is a lot slower and will make your system slower.
But having insane amounts like 32GB won't make your system faster than one with 16GB.

I would go 8+8 since you already have one. Single channel is terrible. The RAM actually stops working to refresh. With Dual channel they take turns refreshing.
2nd thing is in a few programs a 4 GB GPU can have a RAM bottleneck in an 8GB system. Background processes running can provoke this also. The GPU uses system RAM to cache textures. Another 8GB will solve both problems and allow dual channel for all of the RAM.

Solution