Will my 500w power supply be enough?

Aug 29, 2017
Here is the dealio. I have a 500w power supply for my gaming rig(which is coming in the mail). Pcpartpicker says that the total rig is 322W watts, but for my friends.(which have a lower wattage of 300-330) they have been told that they need a 800w power supply or the pc will not work. Now i am really scared that when i plug everything up, my power supply is going to blow and bring everything down with it. If it will, i am willing to send my power supply back and buy one with more wattage, but if i can managewith the PSU i will stick with it. (Note: i will not be overclocking in a long time, so you can take that out of the equation)

List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2jtjFd

I do prefer to stick with my psu I already biught, but if I HAVE to change. I will do, but thanks to anyone who can help me out.

NOTE: To any one who read this earlier. I said that it was a 431w build, but apparently I was wrong. It is now at 322W. Sorry for the in convenience.

Solution

I'd feel differently a few generations ago, but these modern Nvidia...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's not the highest quality PSU around and I'd probably prefer a quality 550-600 in your position for a little bit of headroom, there shouldn't be a problem getting it to work. If your friends think that people need an 800W PSU for 300-330W, I'd advise you never to listen to anything your friends say regarding PCs again.

Aug 29, 2017

Thanks. I had feeling that if I were to do anything with my psu, it would be to bring it up to your recommended wattage. I am thinking right now to stick it out with the 500w. If anything does happen, with booting or playing games, etc. I will take your advice into hand, and upgrade it. But I do appreciate your advice, and your time.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'd feel differently a few generations ago, but these modern Nvidia GPUs sip power. You'll have a hard time getting a 1060 to go much above 120W. And even a heavily factory overclocked 1070 will be below 200. My old overclocked 7970 Ghz used to be well above 250 and only half as powerful as the 1070.

Solution

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Ya, that hasn't changed on the AMD side. I blew out the power limit on my RX 580 and it pulls close to 300W in Firestrike testing with a decent OC on air.

In terms of PSU, I agree, I would say 500W is the minimum and would certainly recommend a bit more if you can swing-it, as well as an 80+ Gold rating.