Will my ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 mobo support AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Quad-Core 3.6 GHz CPU?

jamiebrannen40

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018
I have been searching and trying to figure out if my ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Motherboard will support AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Quad-Core 3.6 GHz CPU but I can't seem to find anything other than people seeking new / best motherboards for it. I am assuming it won't support socket AM4 but wishful thinking, I suppose.

I would appreciate any answers, thank you!

I did go https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/ but I am guessing it's not listing the new CPU's at all.

Solution
NO, your Sabertooth is AM3+ socket and Ryzen is AM4. You need an A320, B350 or x370 board for Ryzen CPUs, your board is 990fx and is much older. There are no old boards that support Ryzen.

jamiebrannen40

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018

Yeah I was afraid of that, thank you very much for the quick reply!

jamiebrannen40

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018

Yes, I am currently running:
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo
AMD FX 8350 Black Edition CPU
32gb DDR3 G-skill 1800 ram
G-force GTX 1070 TI video card

Honestly, I have zero issues running any game max settings. I just received a new e-mail with the new CPU's and was curious if I'd have to upgrade my mobo or if I could squeeze a little more life out of it before having to upgrade everything. I play BDO max settings daily (don't really play too many single player games) and I haven't had any issues at all. I did just upgrade from a AMD Radeon 290x videocard about 2 months ago and I think I did need that.

If you are not having frame rate issues with that CPU, then I see little reason to have to upgrade as a matter of necessity. Certainly, Ryzen and most of the Intel platforms from the last four years outperform any of the FX chips, but that does not mean that the FX 8 core models are not still viable. I have an FX-8320@4.6Ghz in another system, and it can still do a fair enough job that it would be serviceable in replacement to my 6700k should something happen and I had to use it for a while as I was waiting for RMA or such thing.

If you simply WANTED to upgrade, or if it was holding your GPU card back in some way, then that would be an entirely different matter.

jamiebrannen40

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018

Yeah, I don't think I need a upgrade just yet, but was curious if this mobo could even support the new ones. Like I said I play a lot of MMO's such as: ESO, TERA, Skyforge, RIFT, BDO and Crowfall with no issues at all. I know now that when I do decide to cross that bridge, then I will pretty much have to start from scratch (besides the GPU).

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it very much.

Yes, for anything newer than what you have, you will need a new board, memory and CPU, whether it is AMD or Intel. Well, anything newer worth upgrading to anyhow. There are a few newer AMD options that still used DDR3, but you'd still need a different board and CPU, plus, they won't perform better than what you have as they are all APU based processors.