Question Will my CPU be a bottleneck if I upgrade the RAM ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 21, 2024
I've been looking to upgrade an almost 15-year old Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990 laptop. I've taken a good look at the RAM specifications: 3GB of PC2-6400S at 800MHz. I've been planning to upgrade this laptop to 8GB for a month now, but I'm having serious reservations. I'm worried that even if I upgrade, my 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 won't be able to keep up.

I'm considering overclocking, but there's only so much heat an old laptop like this can take before something goes pop. I've looked at htop repeatedly, and from what I see, any time I'm loading some complex web page, both cores’ usage pretty much always reaches higher percentages than RAM usage, although the RAM usage usually stays between 1.5 and 1.8 out of a total 3GB, so that tells me that some might be reserved/hidden for other things, but I doubt it.

Oh, additional information: I have a 320GB SATA HDD running at 5400 RPM max. I don't have a swap file, per my own choice. The laptop in question runs Manjaro, for performance concerns (obvious concerns). Given all this info I've compiled (hah, pun), I'm not sure whether I should overclock or forego an upgrade. For the moment, getting a new laptop is altogether out of the question.