[SOLVED] Will my files get deleted if I remove the drive letter on my storage device?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
I want to make 1 of my storage devices hidden by removing the drive letter such as (G: ), but I'm afraid if I do that, everything that's on there will get deleted.

Would it be possible to remove the drive letter so it stays hidden without any files getting deleted?

I want to make 1 of my storage devices hidden by removing the drive letter such as (G: ), but I'm afraid if I do that, everything that's on there will get deleted.

Would it be possible to remove the drive letter so it stays hidden without any files getting deleted?
no data will be lost but that method is easily bypassed, You could also encrypt whole or parts of the drive.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
How you protect depends on the level of threat.
Who are you protecting this data from?

Encryption software? VeraCrypt.
I would like to play Valorant with my friends and that Vanguard Anti-Cheat has me worried. I do have a lot of personal documents on one of my other drives internally on my computer and when I want to play Valorant, I would like to feel a little safe.

I'm trying Bitlocker right now, should I do VeraCrypt instead?

USAFRet

Titan
I would like to play Valorant with my friends and that Vanguard Anti-Cheat has me worried. I do have a lot of personal documents on one of my other drives internally on my computer and when I want to play Valorant, I would like to feel a little safe.

I'm trying Bitlocker right now, should I do VeraCrypt instead?
What about the anti-cheat has you worried?

These are people outside your system. They cannot see anything that is not game related. Or even that.
They can't see the rest of your data.

Veracrypt, BitLocker...whatever. Just be absolutely sure you know how to decrypt, and as always, have a known good backup

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
What about the anti-cheat has you worried?

These are people outside your system. They cannot see anything that is not game related. Or even that.
They can't see the rest of your data.

Veracrypt, BitLocker...whatever. Just be absolutely sure you know how to decrypt, and as always, have a known good backup
Well the anti-cheat is able to gain access to the kernel level from what I heard, which means if one were to ever hack into the servers of the game, one could attack all computers if they so please (if what I heard is correct).

It just has be worried a bit that a game would take huge actions like that.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
Did you see the big "NO" ? Twice?

That software is little different than a lot of other things already on your system. All the other drivers, for instance.

2 options:
  1. Don't play the game with the required anti-cheat
  2. Encryption, with all the issues that may have.

Actually, a 3rd option:
3. Know that you are one of the faceless rabble, and your personal data is of no use to any "hacker" that would break into their servers, cause the anti-cheat to then talk to all the client systems, and somehow 'upload' your personal data, unknown to you.

And your original concept of 'hiding' an account and its data is no solution at all.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Right.
Did you see the big "NO" ? Twice?

That software is little different than a lot of other things already on your system. All the other drivers, for instance.

2 options:
  1. Don't play the game with the required anti-cheat
  2. Encryption, with all the issues that may have.
Actually, a 3rd option:
3. Know that you are one of the faceless rabble, and your personal data is of no use to any "hacker" that would break into their servers, cause the anti-cheat to then talk to all the client systems, and somehow 'upload' your personal data, unknown to you.

And your original concept of 'hiding' an account and its data is no solution at all.
Okay, but just because 1 he says "NO" does not mean there are risks, which he stated examples of happening.

With that, I will go with option 2 as it will make me feel more safe.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, but just because 1 he says "NO" does not mean there are risks, which he stated examples of happening.

With that, I will go with option 2 as it will make me feel more safe.
There are ALWAYS risks. With ALL software and hardware.

One of the examples he spoke of...Sony. That was not a "hack" resulting in exploitation of users systems. That was a hack of the Sony servers, and the account info on them.
It was just to say that sometimes, major companies get hacked.
That has happened hundreds (thousands) of times, in companies all over the planet.