Question Will my motherboard support an RTX 4060 Ti ?

babar82

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2015
Would like to know whether a gaming PC built with a Gigabyte GA-B360M HD3 motherboard would be able to support an RTX 4060 Ti GPU upgrade ?

Last edited:
Reactions: tanman05851
Yes, it will work. Insert the card on the primary 1 x PCI Express x16 slot of the board. Most importantly, which CPU and PSU do you have ?

You would be needing a powerful CPU which won't bottleneck this card, and also a high quality power supply unit. Current PC specs ? Make sure to update the motherboard's BIOS, before installing the GPU.

babar82

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2015
Yes, it will work. Insert the card on the primary 1 x PCI Express x16 slot of the board. Most importantly, which CPU and PSU do you have ?

You would be needing a powerful CPU which won't bottleneck this card, and also a high quality power supply unit. Current PC specs ? Make sure to update the motherboard's BIOS, before installing the GPU.
A Core-i5 8400 processor ,650 Watts power supply inside a GC 601 tower gaming casing,and 16GB Ram.

Jun 3, 2023
The Core i5-8400 is a capable mid-range processor, and while it may not offer the same level of performance as higher-end CPUs, it should still be able to handle the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti without significant bottlenecking in most scenarios.

In gaming, the GPU tends to have a more significant impact on performance compared to the CPU. The RTX 4060 Ti is a high-end graphics card, and it is designed to handle demanding games and graphics-intensive tasks. While a more powerful CPU may provide a slight performance boost in certain CPU-bound scenarios, the Core i5-8400 should generally be sufficient to support the RTX 4060 Ti.

However, it's important to note that the extent of any potential CPU bottleneck can vary depending on factors such as the specific game or application being used, resolution and graphics settings, and the overall system configuration. In some CPU-intensive games or tasks, you may experience a slight limitation in performance compared to using a higher-end CPU.

If you are primarily focused on gaming at high resolutions and graphics settings, the GPU will likely be the main determining factor for performance. In most cases, the Core i5-8400 should still provide a satisfactory gaming experience when paired with the RTX 4060 Ti.

CORSAIR VS650

That's a budget low tier PSU model from Corsair, and not a very high-end unit, but still should do the job, IMO. But for powering an RTX 4060 Ti GPU, I would definitely recommend grabbing a high quality PSU, if possible, to be on a safer side. If you don't have the budget to upgrade, then that's a totally different thing.

But as a precautionary measure it is advisable to use some other PSU, at least Bronze/Gold certified as a minimum, if you have the budget. Otherwise, leave it.

babar82

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2015
That's a budget low tier PSU model from Corsair, and not a very high-end unit, but still should do the job, IMO. But for powering an RTX 4060 Ti GPU, I would definitely recommend grabbing a high quality PSU, if possible, to be on a safer side. If you don't have the budget to upgrade, then that's a totally different thing.

But as a precautionary measure it is advisable to use some other PSU, at least Bronze/Gold certified as a minimum, if you have the budget. Otherwise, leave it.

I have a concern regarding upgrading a PSU for an upgraded GPU . That besides the current GPU installed(i.e an RTX 2070), the current PSU in my system seems sufficient enough for the current installed hardware components.Like the motherboard,HDD,SSD ,ram chips etc .So if I just have to upgrade the PSU for a GPU upgrade like the RTX 4060 TI from an RTX 2070 . Won't that power supply upgrade effect the current hardware except whats needed for the RTX 4060 TI .Like an over supply of power that could be beyond the capacity of the current hardware components. Damaging them in the process ?

So if I just have to upgrade the PSU for a GPU upgrade like the RTX 4060 TI from an RTX 2070 . Won't that power supply upgrade effect the current hardware except whats needed for the RTX 4060 TI .Like an over supply of power that could be beyond the capacity of the current hardware components. Damaging them in the process ?
No, the new PSU won't effect the components, despite using a higher wattage PSU. There won't be any oversupply. We are talking about efficiency and quality here, and not just the PSU's wattage alone.

The 4060 Ti actually has a lower TGP than the 2070, 160 Watts vs 185 Watts.

The new PSU also won't raise your electricity bill, assuming they have the same 80 PLUS efficiency. The system will still use/pull only the maximum wattage required, regardless of whether you have 500 or 850 Watts PSU, as an example.

I mean the Wattage number is not always important. The quality and the make matters. The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors

The extra power won't go wasted either, it just won't get fully utilized.

Let me explain------------>

If suppose you have a 500W PSU installed on any RIG, then that does not mean that it will always draw the full wattage/500 W. Nope.

The amount of power drawn is determined by the number of components on that rig/computer, and how much they actually require. The amount of power drawn will only be equal to what is required, and not more.

Suppose, if all the components of a rig require 400 W to run, then the "load" on the PSU will be 400 W, and hence the power draw of that particular PC will always be 400 W (depending on the efficiency obviously), regardless of whether a 500 Watt or a 1000 W PSU is installed.

PSU efficiency is a different matter though, as how well the PSU converts the AC power it receives from the outlet, to DC.

Any electricity which is not converted from AC to DC, is given off as heat. A PLATINUM certified PSU might help you save a little on your electricity bill, over a year, though this depends on many other factors as well. Because any high quality Tier 1 platinum certified PSU is rated for at least 90% efficiency at 20% load, 92% at 50% load, and 89% at 100% load (just a rough estimate).

tanman05851

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
Thanks for asking the question and all the informative answers.
I'm also thinking about replacing my ASUS 1060 with a 4060 or 4060TI. I also have an i5 8400 CPU ,16GB of RAM and a 650 watt Corsair power supply(gold).
I was hoping to NOT have to replace the CPU(which in turn would require a new motherboard) which is what I had to do when I upgraded to the 1060 back in 2016.

Reactions: babar82
Jan 15, 2023
Wasn't there a potential issue with the 4060 Ti having 8x 4.0 lanes running at a 3.0 platform? I know Der8auer did some testing on the premise that at a 3.0 platform the 4060 Ti runs at an equivalent of 4x 4.0 lanes (basically half). He "did not find any difference" i think, but afaik he was testing the 4060 Ti against a 3060 Ti on a 3.0 platform, instead of comparing the 4060 Ti at a 3.0 vs the 4060 Ti at a 4.0 bus to establish whether it loses some of its performance.

I'm not knowledgeable enough and i did not get too much into it to claim if it's an issue or not, im just saying, anyone intending to buy the 4060 Ti should probably look that up first. Additional pcie cards and the number of used ssds in the context of a specific motherboard should also be taken in consideration, i guess. Someone correct me if im wrong.