Will my motherboard support booting from a m.2 ssd

Dec 25, 2018
I have a Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 motherboard and I wondering if I would be able to boot from a Samsung 970 evo in a m.2 to pcie adapter?

Solution
There are a few m.2 to pcie adapter cards that support legacy motherboards. I looked into this recently and it is possible. But there are problems. First the adapter card was ridiculously expensive. And the second is that could be used as a drive. But due to the limitations of the motherboard it could not be used as a system drive.

So to answer your question, no a Samsung 970 evo in a m.2 to pcie adapter would not work as a system drive for your motherboard.
There are a few m.2 to pcie adapter cards that support legacy motherboards. I looked into this recently and it is possible. But there are problems. First the adapter card was ridiculously expensive. And the second is that could be used as a drive. But due to the limitations of the motherboard it could not be used as a system drive.

So to answer your question, no a Samsung 970 evo in a m.2 to pcie adapter would not work as a system drive for your motherboard.

Solution
Dec 25, 2018
I had a feeling that would be the case since the motherboard came out like 4 years ago and my pc is about 3 years old.... might just upgrade to a motherboard that has an m.2 port and the right chipset