[SOLVED] Will my PC cope with modern games if upgraded?

Sim_Taylor

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Cut a long story short last year I acquired a pretty decent PC for £50. Spec as follows:

i5 2500k
AS Rock Mobo H61M
SanDisk 250GB SSD
8 GB RAM
Palit GTX 650
Some random cheap ass PSU.

Im looking at upgrading to:
16 GB RAM
1060 6GB GPU

Question is, how long before my CPU becomes the choking point?
As newer MOBO have ddr4/ddr5 RAM.

If this makes any sense. I would like some advice.

Thanks.

Solution
In my opinion, it might be worth adding the new graphics card along with the PSU, and seeing how it performs before deciding if you want a full platform upgrade quite yet. Most games still get along fine on 8GB so long as you're not multitasking too much. An i5-2500k at stock clocks should still be reasonably close to the performance level of an i3-8100 or Ryzen 2200G, which people are putting in new budget gaming systems today. Some games are starting to benefit from having access to more cores, but most new games should still get along well enough on a quad-core with 8GB of RAM for the time being. The system would still have a fair amount of room to stretch its legs when paired with a new graphics card, as that GTX 650 is really...
Quad cores are entry level and this is an older cpu, a lot depends on the games you play and your expectations. There are games that your cpu won’t achieve a minimum of 60fps regardless of gpu choice. Some cpu heavy game like BF V multiplayer are not going to be a good experience.

Also don’t risk a new gpu on a “cheap ass psu”. It’s the one component that can kill others when it fails and low quality psu’s have no place in gaming pc’s. This should be your first upgrade.

It only really makes sense to spend money on parts you can move to a new system such as the gpu and psu. I’d be loathed to spend any money on RAM which is going to be useless when you upgrade the platform.

For £50 it was a good buy but let it die gracefully.

In my opinion, it might be worth adding the new graphics card along with the PSU, and seeing how it performs before deciding if you want a full platform upgrade quite yet. Most games still get along fine on 8GB so long as you're not multitasking too much. An i5-2500k at stock clocks should still be reasonably close to the performance level of an i3-8100 or Ryzen 2200G, which people are putting in new budget gaming systems today. Some games are starting to benefit from having access to more cores, but most new games should still get along well enough on a quad-core with 8GB of RAM for the time being. The system would still have a fair amount of room to stretch its legs when paired with a new graphics card, as that GTX 650 is really holding it back for gaming. A little over a year ago, processors with 4 cores were still considered "mid-range", and the per-core performance of CPU's hasn't been getting significantly faster from one year to the next in recent years.

Solution
AMD ryzen is good, but you might see also if you can get an i7 2600 or 2600k for. I think an i7 3770 can be found just over 100 as well. You could resell the i5 to get part of your money back. Was just interested in this because we bought a system used from work with the i7 3770 and Google seems to suggest even now those can make a good gaming system if that's what you wanted to do with it.