Question Will my PSU be enough?

Feb 21, 2019
I'm looking at buying a new PC soon. I just wanna know if the PSU I have chosen will be enough.
The PSU I am looking at is as follows: 500W EVGA 500 BR, Fully Wired, 80 PLUS Bronze, Single Rail, 41.7A, 120mm Fan, ATX PSU
The rest of the system is this:
MoBo: MSI B360 Gaming Plus
CPU: I5 8600k
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660
RAM: 2 x 8gb Corsair ddr4 2400mhz
HDD: 2 x Sata III Hard Disk Drives
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Red
Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW-RD
Fans: 2 x Arctic p12 PWM (only getting two as case comes with two already installed)

So will a 500w psu be enough for this?

Feb 21, 2019
That psu will suffice, however i would concider a higher end 500w as the br units are lower end.

Whats your max budget for a psu?

Also, why would you pair a k cpu with a locked motherboard?
That psu will suffice, however i would concider a higher end 500w as the br units are lower end.

Whats your max budget for a psu?

Also, why would you pair a k cpu with a locked motherboard?
Well im maxxed out on total pc budget, and that psu is 35 pounds, so no more than that. Also, my mistake, the cpu is not an 8600k, just an 8600.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally wouldn't buy that low end BR model PSU.
You would be much better off waiting until you can save more money and get a better quality PSU.
Think of the PSU as the foundation of your PC.
If you build on a shaky foundation you are risking every component that is connected to it.
They all rely on the PSU to supply reliable current and voltage to perform as they were designed to.
If you are patient you may even find a good PSU on sale.
My PSU sells for around $90 to $100, but I got it on sale for $50.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Well im maxxed out on total pc budget, and that psu is 35 pounds, so no more than that. Also, my mistake, the cpu is not an 8600k, just an 8600.

Then change your priorities. Cheaping out on a PSU is something you're going to regret long term. With a good PSU, you can upgrade the CPU and GPU when the time comes and not even think about the having to change out the PSU.

Maybe get the next CPU down. Like the 8500 instead of the 8600. Or an 8400 even.

Reactions: DMAN999
My psu can be had for under $50 commonly, however, it offers better quality and reliability than the 500BR.

The PSU is commonly forgotten and is purchased using leftover cash. This shouldn't be.

A cheaper PSU has a higher chance of failing and causing damage to the other hardware in your pc.
Also, a cheaper PSU will limit your upgradability down thr road.

I would consider increasing your budget or cheaping out elsewhere to be able to stretch for a better CPU.
The 500BR isn't a bad unit and should work, but for a 1660 it isn't ideal and should be upgraded for the reasons above.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
jonnyguru makes another excellent point.
I bought a decent 750W Gold rated PSU specifically because it will allow me to upgrade my CPU and GPU when feel I need to without having to worry whether or not my PSU can accommodate the power demand of the upgrade.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Then change your priorities. Cheaping out on a PSU is something you're going to regret long term. With a good PSU, you can upgrade the CPU and GPU when the time comes and not even think about the having to change out the PSU.

Maybe get the next CPU down. Like the 8500 instead of the 8600. Or an 8400 even.
I have taken your advice and downgraded to the 8500, which still gives me six cores so I'm okay with that. It's left me enough to get this PSU:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550...s-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-458a-140mm-f

Would you say this is better and worth the money or is it still not good enough?

Reactions: jonnyguru