Question Will my PSU fry my components?

May 6, 2023
So i’ve order new motherboard, cpu and ram for my PC. After my last motherboard stopped working. I have a Corsair VX550W psu and my question is that i don’t know if my last motherboard fried because it shows signal of power intake but wont turn on, i’m concerned that my new motherboard and stuff will be fried aswell if i connect it. My PSU passes the paperclip test and it’s wattage is higher than the recommended and i don’t wanna risk losing my new components.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How old is that TX550W psu? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

The key is to ensure that the PSU will be able to meet the overall and peak power demands of your build.

Plus you must carefully follow all installation instructions per the applicable component User Guides/Manuals.

And use only the cables that come with the PSU.

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Use the calculators and do your own power total.

If a component lists a range of wattage values use the highest value.

Also, the paperclip test is a very basic test.

You can do some PSU testing if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance are a sign of PSU problems.

May 6, 2023
What will the PSU power, that is, what are the specs to the build the PSU will be driving? How old is the PSU at this moment of time?
My new components are,

i7 7700k

1060 6gb

ASUS Z270

16gb Vengeance RGB

i think the PSU is kind of old, minimum 4 years, thats why i’m a little concerned and that it doesn’t have 80+ or whatever. I’m going to most likely use it for gaming, I don’t know how to use a multimeter for each of the power cables but i’ve done research and it does pass for each component. It’s just weird because my old motherboard and everything worked fine, then after a week of inactivity it just doesn’t turn on. The motherboards green light is on but jumping it didn’t work or anything. I’ve tried all that there is.
Thanks for feedback!

May 6, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How old is that TX550W psu? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

The key is to ensure that the PSU will be able to meet the overall and peak power demands of your build.

Plus you must carefully follow all installation instructions per the applicable component User Guides/Manuals.

And use only the cables that come with the PSU.

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Use the calculators and do your own power total.

If a component lists a range of wattage values use the highest value.

Also, the paperclip test is a very basic test.

You can do some PSU testing if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance are a sign of PSU problems.
i just realized that the Corsair VX550W is older than 14 years… But it is 80+, do i dare to use it without frying anything?

Last edited:
Here is a handy chart to estimate the psu wattage you need:
For a 1060, it suggests 450w.

That said, I think I would replace the psu with a high quality replacement.

The "paper clip test" is useless; It can only confirm a dead psu, but says nothing about proper operation.
80+ means nothing about quality; it is a measure of efficiency only.
Corsair VX550 was never considered as a quality unit. Tier 5/6 on this list:

If/when you buy a replacement, buy a unit strong enough to handle a likely future graphics card upgrade.
An overly strong psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capbility.
A good way to estimate quality is to look at the warranty. 7 years or more will usually be good.
5 years as an absolute minimum.

Reactions: Ralston18
May 6, 2023
So i’ve order new motherboard, cpu and ram for my PC. After my last motherboard stopped working. I have a Corsair TX550W psu and my question is that i don’t know if my last motherboard fried because it shows signal of power intake but wont turn on, i’m concerned that my new motherboard and stuff will be fried aswell if i connect it. My PSU passes the paperclip test and it’s wattage is higher than the recommended and i don’t wanna risk losing my new components.
Here is a handy chart to estimate the psu wattage you need:
For a 1060, it suggests 450w.

That said, I think I would replace the psu with a high quality replacement.

The "paper clip test" is useless; It can only confirm a dead psu, but says nothing about proper operation.
80+ means nothing about quality; it is a measure of efficiency only.
Corsair VX550 was never considered as a quality unit. Tier 5/6 on this list:

If/when you buy a replacement, buy a unit strong enough to handle a likely future graphics card upgrade.
An overly strong psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capbility.
A good way to estimate quality is to look at the warranty. 7 years or more will usually be good.
5 years as an absolute minimum.
Alright thank you!