[SOLVED] Will my RAM support 5600X

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Im interested in buying the Ryzen 5 5600x very soon and was looking at the ROG Strix b450-f Gaming motherboard. My budget cant stretch to 500 series motherboard. Now my question is im now aware the bios update supports the CPU with that motherboard but will my RAM be compatible with the CPU? I have the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz 8gb ram sticks x4 part number CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 and cant find anywhere would it be compatible with this motherboard and also be great for information on would this RAM support the 5600x and be fine with the upgrade of CPU and mobo combo?

Solution
The 5600x standard RAM speed is 3200MHz and anything above that is considered overclocked.
You already have 32GB @ 3000MHz, so you might not see a difference in speed by going with faster RAM...

If you still want to go with faster RAM, then consider 3600MHz CL16 or lower. Check the Asus ROG B550-F QVL on Asus website.
Im interested in buying the Ryzen 5 5600x very soon and was looking at the ROG Strix b450-f Gaming motherboard. My budget cant stretch to 500 series motherboard. Now my question is im now aware the bios update supports the CPU with that motherboard but will my RAM be compatible with the CPU? I have the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz 8gb ram sticks x4 part number CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 and cant find anywhere would it be compatible with this motherboard and also be great for information on would this RAM support the 5600x and be fine with the upgrade of CPU and mobo combo?
I would go with a B550 motherboard and see if the RAM works, if it doesn't then, I would buy another RAM kit...3600MHz-3800MHz.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
I would go with a B550 motherboard and see if the RAM works, if it doesn't then, I would buy another RAM kit...3600MHz-3800MHz.

I appreciate the reply but i have a budget. B550 mobo seem to be an extra £50 ish over 450's and then not to work and fork out for more RAM isnt ideal for me. Was hoping to avoid more extra costs, or worst case having to buy just RAM

I appreciate the reply but i have a budget. B550 mobo seem to be an extra £50 ish over 450's and then not to work and fork out for more RAM isnt ideal for me. Was hoping to avoid more extra costs, or worst case having to buy just RAM
Make sure you get a B450 motherboard that supports the 5000 series out the box or it has a BIOS update available and can be flashed without a CPU...like the MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Some B450 motherboards do not have BIOS updates, at the moment, to support the Ryzen 5000 series.

Last edited:

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014

Got my 5600x and Asus ROG B550-F gaming mobo as my motherboard budget was able to be increased in the end and the RAM was fine, thanks for the info but possibly thinking of upgrading RAM soon though but appreciate the help guys. Just to figure what RAM to upgrade to now :D

The 5600x standard RAM speed is 3200MHz and anything above that is considered overclocked.
You already have 32GB @ 3000MHz, so you might not see a difference in speed by going with faster RAM...

If you still want to go with faster RAM, then consider 3600MHz CL16 or lower. Check the Asus ROG B550-F QVL on Asus website.

Solution

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014

Ok thanks, my wife is pretty much getting my old parts as i upgrade to build a system, so we were going to get RAM for hers but she's happy to just have my RAM if i upgraded as essentially my old system will end up being hers but in another case and couple other hardware components different in the end, we know my RAM worked in older mobo and cpu so was easy option or donating 16gb to her of my RAM or just upgrade mine and she gets 32gb.

Ok thanks, my wife is pretty much getting my old parts as i upgrade to build a system, so we were going to get RAM for hers but she's happy to just have my RAM if i upgraded as essentially my old system will end up being hers but in another case and couple other hardware components different in the end, we know my RAM worked in older mobo and cpu so was easy option or donating 16gb to her of my RAM or just upgrade mine and she gets 32gb.
That will depend on your RAM usage.
If you check the Task Manager and you see that your RAM usage is below 10GB at the time when you use the most demanding apps, then you do not need more than 16GB.

I have 32GB because of photo and video editing otherwise my system does not uses more than 9GB of RAM.

Having more RAM than needed, does not translate into better performance, since it won’t help onanything once you have enough RAM for the applications you’re using.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
That will depend on your RAM usage.
If you check the Task Manager and you see that your RAM usage is below 10GB at the time when you use the most demanding apps, then you do not need more than 16GB.

I have 32GB because of photo and video editing otherwise my system does not uses more than 9GB of RAM.

Having more RAM than needed, does not translate into better performance, since it won’t help onanything once you have enough RAM for the applications you’re using.

I dont do much else apart from gaming and think the most ive seen used is about 45% of RAM usage playing Call of Duty Cold War so i would get away with 16gb i guess and donate the other 16gb to my wife.

Reactions: jojesa